Rodriguez in April 2013
Los Angeles Dodgers – No. 75
April 16, 1991 |
|September 9, 2012 for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||2.52|
Steven Francis "Paco" Rodríguez (born April 16, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB). Prior to playing professionally, Rodriguez attended the University of Florida, where he played college baseball for the Florida Gators.
Rodriguez attended Gulliver Preparatory School in Miami, Florida. He was named All-State and was named to the Miami Herald All-Dade Team. The Houston Astros selected Rodriguez in the 48th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft after his high school graduation, but he did not sign.
Rodriguez enrolled at the University of Florida, in order to play college baseball for the Florida Gators baseball team in the Southeastern Conference (SEC). For the Gators, Rodriguez served as the team's closer. His career earned run average (ERA) at Florida (2.19) in 86 appearances is the lowest since the introduction of aluminum bats in 1974. He was an All-SEC selection in 2012. Rodriguez helped lead the Gators to the College World Series in three consecutive years.
The Los Angeles Dodgers selected Rodriguez in the second round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft. Draft experts suggested that he would be one of the first players from the draft to reach the majors. After signing with the Dodgers, he was assigned to the Great Lakes Loons of the Class A Midwest League. After six appearances with the Loons, he was promoted to the Chattanooga Lookouts of the Class AA Southern League, where he pitched in 15 games with a 1.32 ERA.
The Dodgers promoted Rodriguez to the major leagues on September 5, 2012, and became the first 2012 draftee to reach the Majors. He made his debut in a game on September 9 against the San Francisco Giants and retired the one batter he faced. He appeared in 11 games for the Dodgers in 2012, as a left-handed specialist, and allowed only one run to score in 6.2 innings.
Rodriguez started the 2013 season on the Dodgers' major league roster. After a rocky April, he became a trusted member of the Dodgers' bullpen, though he faltered in September and October under the heavy workload of a MLB season. From May through August, his ERA was 1.31 in 52 appearances. His season totals were a record of 3-4 with a 2.32 ERA in 76 games.
Rodriguez spent most of 2014 with the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes, but had four separate brief stints with the Dodgers. He suffered a strained muscle in his upper back at the beginning of August. In 32 games with the Isotopes, he was 2–3 with a 4.40 ERA and in 19 games for the Dodgers, he was 1–0 with a 3.86 ERA.
Rodriguez has an unusual and deceptive delivery in which, from the batter's perspective, he hides the ball behind his head before slinging it towards the plate.
- "UF pitchers develop cut fastball". Gatorcountry.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Gulliver student-athletes are college-bound". Nl.newsbank.com. 2009-01-15. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Pair Of Drafted Gator Baseball Players To Return". Wctv.tv. 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Hugh Bernreuter. "Los Angeles Dodgers assign second-round pick Steven Rodriguez to Great Lakes Loons roster". Mlive.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "No 1 Florida has sights set on NCAA title this season". Usatoday.com. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Thursday July 5, 2012 (2012-07-05). "UF Baseball's Steven Rodriguez Signs With Los Angeles Dodgers". Gatorzone.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Path to Majors could be short for Rodriguez". Mlb.mlb.com. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Down on the Farm – Steven Rodriguez Promoted to Double-A Chattanooga". Thinkbluela.com. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Dilbeck, Steve. "Chad Billingsley's season ends; just-drafted Steven Rodriguez up". latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Angert, Alex (2012-09-05). "Lefty Rodriguez is first 2012 draftee to reach bigs". mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Hernandez, Dylan (2012-09-10). "Dodgers' Matt Kemp, who has hurt shoulder, aims to return Tuesday". latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- Baseball Reference
- Steve Dilbeck, Daily Dodger in Review: Paco Rodriguez is brilliant until overuse, Los Angeles Times, Published 26 Nov 2013, Retrieved 27 Nov 2013.
- Dylan Hernandez, Dodgers reliever Paco Rodriguez continues to impress, Los Angeles Times, Published 26 Aug 2013, Retrieved 27 Nov 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)