|Steven Sol Skiena|
|Born||January 30, 1961|
|Institutions||Stony Brook University (1988–present)|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Doctoral advisor||Herbert Edelsbrunner|
Steven Sol Skiena (born 1961) is a Distinguished Teaching Professor of Computer Science at Stony Brook University. He is a co-founder and the Chief Science Officer of General Sentiment, a social media and news analytics company. His research interests include algorithm design and its applications to biology. Skiena is the author of several popular books in the fields of algorithms, programming, and mathematics. The Algorithm Design Manual is widely used as an undergraduate text in algorithms and within the tech industry for job interview preparation.
Skiena has worked on algorithmic problems in synthetic biology, and, in particular, issues of optimal gene design for a given protein under various constraints. In collaboration with virologist Eckard Wimmer, he has worked to computationally design synthetic viruses for use as attenuated vaccines. Their Synthetic Attenuated Virus Engineering (SAVE) approach has been validated in flu and experiments with other viruses are ongoing. A popular account of this work appears in Dennis Shasha and Cathy Lazare's Natural Computing.
Skiena played a role in the conception of the Apple iPad. In 1988, Skiena and his team won a competition run by Apple to design the Computer of the Year 2000 Their design, a tablet featuring a touch screen, GPS, and wireless communications was similar in many regards to the iPad of 2010.
- Skiena, Steven; Ward, Charles (2013). Who’s Bigger: Where Historical Figures Really Rank. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1107041370.
- Skiena, Steven (2010). The Algorithm Design Manual (2nd ed.). Springer Science+Business Media. ISBN 1-849-96720-2.
- Skiena, Steven; Revilla, Miguel (2003). Programming Challenges (1st ed.). Springer Science+Business Media. ISBN 0-387-00163-8.
- Skiena, Steven (2001). Calculated Bets: Computers, Gambling, and Mathematical Modeling to Win (Outlooks) (1st ed.). Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-00962-6.
- Pemmaraju, Sriram; Skiena, Steven. Computational Discrete Mathematics: Combinatorics and Graph Theory with Mathematica (1st ed.). Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-12146-9.
-  Steven Skiena's homepage at Stony Brook University.
-  General Sentiment personnel page.
-  Steve Yegge's blog
- Coleman, et. al (2008). "Virus attenuation by genome-scale changes in codon pair bias". Science 320 (5884): 1784–7. DOI:10.1126/science.1155761. PMC 2754401. PMID 18583614
- Mueller et. al(2010)  Nature Biotech,Jul;28(7):723-6. Epub 2010 Jun 13.
- Natural Computing; Dennis Shasha and Cathy Lazare, W. W. Norton & Company, 2010.
- Bartlett W. Mel, Stephen M. Omohundro, Arch D. Robison, Steven S. Skiena, Kurt H. Thearling, Kune T. Young and Stephen Wolfram (June 1988). "Tablet: Personal Computer in the Year 2000". Communications of the ACM 31 (6): 638–648. doi:10.1145/62959.62960.
-  "Apple’s New Device Looks Like a Winner. From 1988", James Barron, New York Times, Jan 28, 2010.