Yeun at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con
December 21, 1983
Seoul, South Korea
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Alma mater||Kalamazoo College|
|Revised Romanization||Yeon Sang-yeop|
Steven Yeun (Korean: 연상엽; born December 21, 1983) is a Korean American actor. He is known for portraying Glenn Rhee in the AMC series The Walking Dead (2010–present). Prior to this, Yeun appeared in an independent film and a few short films. He has also provided voice work for the Crysis video game series, and played Wan in The Legend of Korra (2013).
Yeun was born in Seoul, South Korea to first-generation South Korean parents Je and June Yeun. His father was an architect in South Korea before moving his family to Regina, Saskatchewan and later moved to Michigan. Yeun was raised in Troy, Michigan in a Christian household. His parents owned two beauty supply stores in Detroit. Yeun received a bachelor's degree in psychology and a concentration in neuroscience from Kalamazoo College in 2005. At Kalamazoo, he met Jordan Klepper through Klepper's sister and later followed him to Chicago to join Second City.
Yeun's interest in acting and improv came during his freshman year at Kalamazoo, when he watched the college's improv group, Monkapult. He auditioned for Monkapult, but was initially rejected before successfully joining the group during his sophomore year.
Yeun revealed to his parents that he planned to pursue an improv career in Chicago instead of enrolling in law school or medical school. His parents, while unhappy with the decision, were supportive, according to Yeun, and gave him two years to pursue acting. He moved to Chicago in 2005, living in the city's Lincoln Square with his brother. Shortly after graduation, he joined Stir Friday Night, a sketch comedy group composed of Asian-American members.
|2009||The Kari Files||Chip||Short film|
|2009||My Name Is Jerry||Chaz|
|2010||Carpe Millennium||Kevin||Short film|
|2010||Blowout Sale||Customer||Short film|
|2010||Lemons the Show||Asian Guy||2 episodes|
|2010||The Big Bang Theory||Sebastian||Episode: "The Staircase Implementation"|
|2010–present||The Walking Dead||Glenn Rhee||Season 1-present (series regular; 47 episodes)
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Television Series (2012)
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor on Television (2011)
|2011||Law & Order: LA||Ken Hasui||Episode: "Hayden Tract"|
|2011||Warehouse 13||Gibson Rice||Episode: "Don't Hate the Player"|
|2012||NTSF:SD:SUV::||Ricky Meeker||Episode: "16 Hop Street"|
|2012||Harder Than it Looks||Steven||Episode: "Lockdown"|
|2013||The Legend of Korra||Avatar Wan (voice)||3 episodes|
|2013||Filthy Sexy Teen$||Martin||Pilot|
|2014||Drunk History||Daniel Inouye||Episode: "Hawaii"|
|2014||Comedy Bang! Bang!||Himself||Episode: "Steven Yeun Wears Rolled Up Black Jeans & No Socks"|
|2007||Crysis||Korean Soldier (voice)|
|2008||Crysis Warhead||Korean Soldier (voice)|
- "ON THE ROAD WITH STEVEN YEUN". Interview Magazine. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- "‘Walking Dead': Steven Yeun’s Glenn is beating heart of AMC series". Los Angeles Times. February 8, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- Yeun, Steven (October 6, 2014). Steven Yeun on his Parents. Interview with Ellen DeGeneres. YouTube. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- Arroyve, Luis (November 21, 2010). "Steven Yeun makes jump from Second City to AMC's 'Walking Dead'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- Liberty, John (October 30, 2010). "College grad vs. zombies: Michigan native stars in new AMC series 'The Walking Dead'". Kalamazoo Gazette. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- Murphy, Kate (October 27, 2012). "Steven Yeun". The New York Times. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Steven Yeun". The New Potato. February 7, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Photos: Steven Yeun Of 'The Walking Dead' Brings Flavor Of Detroit To K-Town". laist. February 26, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "BUSTING OUT THE BIG BUNS: HANGING WITH BRIAN YEUN AND JAMES SEOK OF THE BUN SHOP". iamkoream. May 14, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2014.