||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|Birth name||Steven Bernard Hill|
April 19, 1958 |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
|Origin||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Genres||Latin freestyle, R&B, pop|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, electronic keyboard, drum machine|
Stevie B (born Steven Bernard Hill, April 19, 1958) is an American singer, songwriter, and record producer, who was influential in the Latin freestyle and Hi-NRG dance music scene of the late 1980s, mostly in Miami. Also known as the King of Freestyle, Stevie B is perhaps best known for his 1990 number-one hit ballad "Because I Love You (The Postman Song)".
Born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Stevie B worked a variety of jobs — from car washing to fast food — before gaining recognition for his 1987 national club smash, "Party Your Body". It was also the title track of his 1988 debut LP, which eventually went gold. In 1989, he had his first top 40 hits with "I Wanna Be the One", "In My Eyes" and "Love Me For Life". With his 1990 album, Love & Emotion, he reached the height of his success, with the accompanying single "Because I Love You", enjoying four weeks at number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in December 1990. He had two subsequent top 15 hits with "I'll Be by Your Side" and the title track from the album.
In 1998, The Best of Stevie B was re-released, highlighting the light dance-pop sound that marked the start of his career. He has found new fame in Brazil, where he not only appears regularly on radio shows but continues to sell out concerts to tens of thousands of fans, many hailing from the favellas of both Rio and São Paulo, due to the popularity of his style of music with urban youth.
Child support problems 
Chart singles 
- 1987: "Party Your Body" (#40 U.S. Dance)
- 1988: "Dreamin' of Love" (#80 U.S., #21 U.S. Dance)
- 1988: "Spring Love (Come Back to Me)" (#43 U.S., #5 U.S. Dance)
- 1989: "I Wanna Be the One" (#32 U.S., #39 U.S. Dance)
- 1989: "In My Eyes" (#37 U.S., #21 U.S. Dance)
- 1989: "Girl I Am Searching for You" (#56 U.S.)
- 1990: "Love Me for Life" (#29 U.S.)
- 1990: "Love & Emotion" (#15 U.S., #43 U.S. Dance)
- 1990: "Because I Love You (The Postman Song)" (#1 U.S.)
- 1991: "I'll Be By Your Side" (#12 U.S.)
- 1991: "Forever More" (#96 U.S.)
- 1994: "Funky Melody" (#29 U.S.)
- 1995: "Dream About You" (#29 U.S.)
- 1995: "If You Still Love Me"
- 1997: "Summer Nights"
- 1998: "If You Leave Me Now" With Alexia Phillips
- 1999: "It's So Good"
- 2000: "You Are the One"
- 2008: "Running for Miles"
- 2009: "It Ain't Over"
- Ankeny, Jason "Stevie B Biography", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-06-19
- Barry, Stephanie. "Springfield police: Dance music performer 'Stevie B' busted during MassMutual concert for hefty child support debt". The Republican. Retrieved 10-01-2011.
- Singer of 1990 hit love song hauled off Mass. stage, charged with owing $420K in child support, Washington Post, October 2, 2011[dead link]
- "Stevie B Charts & Awards", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-06-19