Stewart Liff, author, consultant and former government executive
October 20, 1951 |
Rego Park, New York, United States
|Residence||Santa Clarita, CA|
|Education||Queens College, Hunter College|
Stewart Liff (born October 20, 1951) is an American author and management consultant known for his work in Human Resources Management, Performance Management and Visual Management. Liff has served in various senior government personnel management positions and as a consultant to government agencies and businesses. He has written five books, is a frequent conference speaker and is a regular contributing author to government and professional publications.
Stewart Liff began his government career as a personnel specialist with the Department of Defense in 1974. He later served as Chief of Employee and Labor Relations for the Veterans Health Administration James J. Peters VA Medical Center in the Bronx, NY. In 1981 Liff was appointed to the Veteran’s Administration New York Regional Office where he served as Assistant Director. In 1988 he was appointed Chief of the Veterans’ Benefits Administration’s Human Resources Division where he received the President's Council on Management Improvement Award and the Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Service.
Liff retired from government service in 2006 and has authored five books on government performance management, human resources management and visual management. Liff’s titles are recommended books on leadership in government by various management associations. He has served as a consultant to businesses and more than a dozen U.S. and state government agencies including the U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Office of Personnel Management, The World Bank, Port of Los Angeles and the State Government of Georgia. Liff is a regular contributing columnist to OhMyGov! – Steward Liff on Government.
In 2011 multiple consulting contracts with the Department of Labor, including one with Stewart Liff, were reviewed as part of an investigated associated with allegations that Assistant Secretary Ray Jefferson violated department procurement rules. An independent Inspector General's investigation reported no findings wrongdoing by Liff. In a separate response, Liff asserted he received no special treatment and conformed to all government contracting requirements and work performance.
- Liff, Stewart (2011). Improving the Performance of Government Employees: A Manager’s Guide. New York: AMACOM. ISBN 978-0-8144-1622-8.
- Liff, Stewart (2009). The Complete Guide to Hiring and Firing Government Employees. New York: AMACOM. ISBN 978-0-8144-1450-7.
- Liff, Stewart (2009). Managing Your Government Career: Success Strategies That Work. New York: AMACOM. ISBN 978-0-8144-1099-8.
- Liff, Stewart (2007). Managing Government Employees: How to Motivate Your People, Deal with Difficult Issues, and Achieve Tangible Results. New York: AMACOM. ISBN 978-0-8144-0887-2.
- Liff, Stewart; Pamela A. Posey (2007). Seeing is Believing: How the New Art of Visual Management Can Boost Performance Throughout Your Organization. New York: AMACOM. ISBN 978-0-8144-0035-7.
- About Stewart Liff, American Management Association, July 2011.
- James J. Peters VA Medical Center, 2011.
- The Motivation Factor, Government Executive Magazine, April 1, 2011.
- Recommended books on leadership in government, Government Leaders, April 2011.
- Stewart Liff Official Website, published client list, 2011.
- OhMyGov! About Stewart Liff, bylined columns 2011.
- Steve Vogel (28 July 2011). "Obama appointee at Labor resigns after ethics probe". Washington Post. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Stewart Liff Response - comments section, Oh My Gov blog, November 20, 2011.