Still Into You
|"Still into You"|
|Single by Paramore|
|from the album Paramore|
|Released||March 14, 2013|
|Format||Digital download, promo CD|
|Recorded||2012 in Los Angeles, CA|
|Genre||Power pop, pop rock, new wave|
|Label||Fueled by Ramen|
|Writer(s)||Hayley Williams, Taylor York|
|Paramore singles chronology|
"Still into You" is a song by American rock band Paramore. It was released on March 14, 2013, as the second single from their self-titled fourth studio album, Paramore. Recorded in 2012 in Los Angeles, California, "Still Into You" is a departure from their previous single, "Now", which incorporates pop rock, power pop, and new wave while being described as "sweet" and "sugary". The song has received critical acclaim from music critics, who have praised the song and Hayley Williams' vocals as "catchy" and "strong and effective", as well as praising it as one of the songs of the summer of 2013. It is also one of their most commercially successful singles to date in the United States, where it is currently their highest charting song at number 24 on the Billboard Hot 100 alongside their 2010 single "The Only Exception", as well as their first top-ten hit on the Mainstream Top 40 charts. It also charted in seven more countries. It was included in multiple year-end charts, including number 95 on Rolling Stone magazine's 100 Best Songs of 2013 list and number 19 on Billboard magazine 20 Best Songs of 2013. It was also number 100 on the Hot 100 songs of the year by Billboard magazine.
Paramore first performed "Still Into You" in Austin, Texas, as part of the South by Southwest festival. The song was then released on March 14, 2013 on YouTube following the performance, through a lyric video. The song has the length of three minutes and thirty-six seconds. The lyrical content finds Williams singing about her long time relationship with Chad Gilbert and how her feelings seemingly have stayed the same since their first meeting.
In an interview, Hayley Williams was asked if "Still Into You" was going to be a love song, to which she replied "'Still Into You' is definitely a love song. It's definitely happy. But to me anyway — and obviously I wrote it so maybe I'm biased, but — it's not a sappy love song. ... We've never done that before, and honestly I don't have a whole lot of experience writing love songs, or anyways lyrics that are like this."
"Still Into You" is a power pop, pop rock and new wave song with Gotye-like skeletal guitar lines, indie-dance glockenspiel and synths. It lacks a heavy guitar riff, which Paramore is typically known for, which is replaced by a back beat on the drums. MTV compared the song to the band The Cars, saying it could pass for one of their B-sides.
The song has been critically acclaimed by music critics, who commended the song as fun and catchy, and praised Williams' vocals. Musicfeeds.com called the song "a poppy, upbeat, sugary sweet number". Under the Gun also gave the song a positive review, saying "The song follows the same sonic-direction that's been shown through their first single off of Paramore, 'Now', and tells the story of Hayley Williams' longtime relationship with New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert." Alternative Press calls it one of the best songs on Paramore, saying "There's no question that this is still Paramore, only it's better. The chorus hook will stay in your brain for days at a time, ... and when you throw in the band's newfound embracing of electronics, you find yourself with what will ideally be one of the biggest hits of 2013." Popdust gave the song a 5/5, declaring "If there’s any justice in the world this’ll be a song of the summer, or at least of the late spring".
The video was directed by Isaac Rentz. Regarding shooting the music video, Jeremy Davis states "I've realized you can't really consider it making a music video unless you get hurt, because every video, we end up in pain ... It's awesome to do our own stunts; we might as well be Jackie Chan." Taylor York adds "A lot of people would hear the song and assume it would be about the story of people still being in love, but what was so appealing about Isaac's treatment is that he wanted to capture what love feels like ... He had so many ideas, and it definitely jumped out at us."
The official music video for "Still Into You" premiered on April 8, 2013 on Fueled by Ramen's YouTube channel. Directed by Isaac Rentz, the video strongly utilizes bright colors such as blue, yellow, and pink, and gives a general lighthearted impression. The music video begins with a shot of many blue, light green and white balloons, panning up to show the trio of the band in a boat surrounded by the balloons; Taylor York and Jeremy Davis hold paddles while Hayley Williams holds an umbrella, and texts on the screen appear: "Still Into You." When the song begins, Williams is seen singing and dancing in a large bed within a room that is decorated with pastel colors and candle-decorated cakes around her. The next shot is Williams, Davis, and York on bicycles, riding around a house. The scene changes to another room, having both Davis and York riding bikes around Williams while she sings and dances, and there is a light show of fireworks being shown on the walls of the room. The trio are next shown in front of one of the walls, standing and moving around each other. Williams is then with many white dressed ballerinas that dance around her while she sings and dances on her own. Back to shots from the beginning, the trio are playing and moving around with the balloons in the boat. In the last part of the bridge of the song, the trio are seen outside at night time, playing with sparklers and Roman candles while fireworks go off in the background. The video ends with the shot of the trio outside panning into the sky.
The song has sold over 1,000,000 copies in the US as of December 2013.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||60|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||58|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||14|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||13|
|South Korea (Gaon International Chart)||146|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||15|
|UK Rock (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||24|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||8|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||11|
|US Billboard Hot 100||100|
|US Billboard Pop Songs||46|
- Ableson, Jon (2009-08-20). "Paramore Confirm Next Single "Still into You"". Alter The Press!. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "Paramore "Still into You" (NEW MUSIC)". Global Grind. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Paramore Get Personal On New Single 'Still into You' - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- Hogan, Marc (2013-03-13). "Hayley Williams on Love, Haters, and 'Paramore's Soap Opera' | SPIN | Q & A". SPIN. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- Hogan, Marc (2013-03-14). "Paramore Share Love-Buzzed Single 'Still Into You' Via Shadow-Puppet Lyric Video | SPIN | SPIN Mix | Videos". SPIN. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Paramore release lyric video for new song "Still Into You"". Hypable. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Shortlist's weekly album reviews". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Paramore Go Long, Dig Deep On New Self-Titled Album - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Listen: Paramore’s New Song ‘Still into You’ - Music News, Reviews, Interviews and Culture". Music Feeds. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "STREAM: Paramore – "Still into You"". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- "Paramore - Paramore - Alternative Press". Altpress.com. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- Maura Johnston. "Paramore's "Paramore" Reviewed: "Still Into You"". Popdust. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Photo by paramore • Instagram". Instagram.com. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- 04/02/2013 17:05:43. "Paramore Reveal Details Of 'Still Into You' Video - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- Grein, Paul (December 18, 2013). "Chart Watch: Lorde Tops Miley (Not At Twerking)". Chart Watch. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – Paramore – Still Into You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Paramore – Still Into You" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Paramore.
- "Lescharts.com – Paramore – Still Into You" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Charts.org.nz – Paramore – Still Into You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Gaon Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Chart. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "2013-03-30 Top 40 Rock & Metal Singles Archive". Official Charts. 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Paramore.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Paramore.
- "Hot Rock Songs : Page 2". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Paramore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Paramore.
- "2013 Year End Singles Chart". ARIA. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Company. December 8, 2010. Retrieved December 9, 2010.
- "Aria Charts". Aria Charts. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "Gold and Platinum Database - Paramore". Musiccanada.com. Retrieved 22 novembre 2013.
- "BPI - Certification - Paramore - Still Into You". Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- "Paramore's "Still Into You" goes Platinum". alterthepress.com. 2013-12-18. Retrieved 2013-12-18.