Still Water (Love)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2011)|
|"Still Water (Love)"|
|Single by The Four Tops from the album 'Still Waters Run Deep'|
|Writer||Smokey Robinson and Frank Wilson|
|Producer||Smokey Robinson and Frank Wilson|
"Still Water (Love)" is a 1970 hit single written by Smokey Robinson and Frank Wilson, who also produced the track for Motown singing group The Four Tops, who took the song to the top ten of the UK pop charts and to number 11 in the US pop chart. The socially conscious single was a departure from the group's past recordings and produced a smoother sound than the raucous Norman Whitfield productions that belayed on The Temptations. The single features Miracles member Marv Tarplin on guitar and The Andantes adding in additional background vocals shouting out Still water! The single became The Tops' first top ten R&B single since 1967's "Bernadette".
- Lead vocal by Levi Stubbs
- Background vocals by Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Lawrence Payton and Renaldo "Obie" Benson
- Additional background vocals by The Andantes: Louvain Demps, Marlene Barrow, and Jackie Hicks
- Produced by Frank Wilson
- Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers:
- Whitburn, Joel (2010). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 9th Edition: Complete Chart Information. Billboard Books. ISBN 9780307985125.