Stillwater County, Montana
|Stillwater County, Montana|
Stillwater County Courthouse in Columbus
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,805 sq mi (4,675 km2)|
|• Land||1,795 sq mi (4,649 km2)|
|• Water||10 sq mi (26 km2), 0.53%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,805 square miles (4,674 km²), of which, 1,795 square miles (4,649 km²) of it is land and 10 square miles (25 km²) of it (0.53%) is water.
- Golden Valley County - north
- Yellowstone County - east
- Carbon County - south
- Park County - southwest
- Sweet Grass County - west
||Golden Valley County|
|Sweet Grass County||Yellowstone County|
|Park County||Carbon County|
National protected areas
- Custer National Forest (part)
- Hailstone National Wildlife Refuge
- Halfbreed Lake National Wildlife Refuge
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,195 people, 3,234 households, and 2,347 families residing in the county. The population density was 5 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 3,947 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.82% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 0.70% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.94% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. 2.01% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 29.7% were of German, 11.8% Norwegian, 10.8% English, 10.6% Irish and 6.8% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 3,234 households out of which 32.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.60% were married couples living together, 5.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.40% were non-families. 24.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.30% under the age of 18, 5.70% from 18 to 24, 26.90% from 25 to 44, 27.60% from 45 to 64, and 14.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 104.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $39,205, and the median income for a family was $45,238. Males had a median income of $32,148 versus $19,271 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,468. About 6.20% of families and 9.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.20% of those under age 18 and 9.20% of those age 65 or over.
Ghost towns/former town sites
- List of cemeteries in Stillwater County, Montana
- List of lakes in Stillwater County, Montana
- List of mountains in Stillwater County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Stillwater County, Montana
- Stillwater Mining Company
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.