Stillwater County, Montana
|Stillwater County, Montana|
Stillwater County Courthouse in Columbus
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,805 sq mi (4,675 km2)|
|• Land||1,795 sq mi (4,649 km2)|
|• Water||9.2 sq mi (24 km2), 0.5%|
|• Density||5.1/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
- Golden Valley County - north
- Yellowstone County - east
- Carbon County - south
- Park County - southwest
- Sweet Grass County - west
National protected areas
- Custer National Forest (part)
- Hailstone National Wildlife Refuge
- Halfbreed Lake National Wildlife Refuge
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,195 people, 3,234 households, and 2,347 families residing in the county. The population density was 5 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 3,947 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.82% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 0.70% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.94% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. 2.01% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 29.7% were of German, 11.8% Norwegian, 10.8% English, 10.6% Irish and 6.8% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 3,234 households out of which 32.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.60% were married couples living together, 5.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.40% were non-families. 24.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.30% under the age of 18, 5.70% from 18 to 24, 26.90% from 25 to 44, 27.60% from 45 to 64, and 14.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 104.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $39,205, and the median income for a family was $45,238. Males had a median income of $32,148 versus $19,271 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,468. About 6.20% of families and 9.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.20% of those under age 18 and 9.20% of those age 65 or over.
- Columbus (county seat)
- List of cemeteries in Stillwater County, Montana
- List of lakes in Stillwater County, Montana
- List of mountains in Stillwater County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Stillwater County, Montana
- Stillwater Mining Company
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hooker, Patty; Museum of the Beartooths (2011). Columbus and Stillwater County. Images of America. Charleston, S.C: Arcadia Pub. ISBN 9780738574622.
- Hooker, Patty (2013). Moccasins, mining & Montana's 34th county: a centennial celebration of Stillwater County. Virginia Beach, VA: The Donning Company Publishers. ISBN 9781578648122.
- Redle, Richard R. (2013). Making of a Montanan: a WWII veteran's journey from ranch to hell. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse. ISBN 1481752472.
||Golden Valley County|
|Sweet Grass County||Yellowstone County|
|Park County||Carbon County|