Stilwell was named for a conductor on the first Missouri Pacific train to arrive in the community in the 1870s. Stilwell is mostly farmland, but in recent years has spawned suburban neighborhoods. The Aubry Township Board has stated that by 2010, most of Stilwell will be urban. Stilwell has low land value and some farms are abandoned; however, in recent years, the large population growth of Overland Park, Kansas has increased the demand for new neighborhoods, raising the land value in some areas to high amounts.
- Gary Burrell (b. 1937), engineer and entrepreneur, co-founder of Garmin GPS technology company
- Tara Nott Cunningham, Gold Medalist in Women's Weightlifting at 2000 Summer Olympics
- Michael Stevens, host of Vsauce channel on YouTube
- Tom Watson, American professional golfer.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Stilwell has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Volume 2. Standard Publishing Company. p. 766.
- Blair, Ed (1915). History of Johnson County, Kansas. Standard Publishing Company. p. 173.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961, page 2 (archived)". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Tom Watson Biography". Tom Watson. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Climate Summary for Stilwell, Kansas
- "Stilwell". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2006. Retrieved January 31, 2006.