"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" is a well-known and widely (mis)quoted line from cinematic history. In 2005, it was chosen as #36 on the American Film Institute list, AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes. It comes from a line of dialogue from a 1927 novel, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and first appeared in film 21 years later in a movie of the same name. The line was parodied in the Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles in 1974 and was cited in many movies after that.
First occurrences 
The line was popularized by the 1948 film adaptation of the novel. In one scene, a Mexican bandit leader named "Gold Hat" (portrayed by Alfonso Bedoya) tries to convince Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) that he and his company are Federales:
- Dobbs: "If you're the police where are your badges?"
- Gold Hat: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
References in Popular Culture 
- In the TV show The Monkees episode 33 "A Nice Place To Visit" (1967), Micky Dolenz copied the line as "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges".
- In Mel Brooks' 1974 Western Blazing Saddles, the line was delivered as "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."
- In a 1979 episode of the TV series WKRP in Cincinnati, Dr. Johnny Fever explained a past arrest in Mexico, "It was a minor misunderstanding one night with 145 Mexican cops. I thought they were soldiers. I said, 'Show me some badges.' The guy said, 'Badges? Ah, we don't need no stinking badges!'"
- In the 1983 TV series Wizards and Warriors, the character Marko (played by Walter Olkewicz) delivers a spoof of the line as "Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers."
- The 1985 film Gotcha! likewise features the line as comic dialogue during a Mexican standoff between two CIA officers and a Mexican-American college student (Nick Corri), who is immediately backed up by a group of armed Mexican-American gang members.
- In the 1985 Robert Altman movie O.C. and Stiggs, the line is said by a Mexican souvenir salesman upon the arrival of the titular characters in Mexico.
- In the 1986 Stephen King novel It, character Richie Tozier repeatedly says in a poor imitation of a Mexican accent, "Batches? We don't need no steeking batches."
- In the 1986 Transformers episode "Ghost in the Machine", Starscream's ghost speaks the line "Passes? Passes?! I don't have to show you no stinking passes," while infiltrating the Decepticon base.
- The 1987 Luis Valdez play I Don't Have to Show You No Stinkin' Badges draws its title from this quote, and makes a specific reference to Sierra Madre.
- In the 1989 film Troop Beverly Hills, the character Rosa (played by Shelley Morrison) states, "Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches!" when their Girl Scout patches are revoked.
- In the 1989 "Weird Al" Yankovic film UHF, when Raul (Trinidad Silva) is asked to take a consignment of badgers, he says "Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers!"
- In the 53rd episode of Digimon Adventure, Hikari says I don't need no stinking crests.
- The line is quoted in the 1992 song "Julian H. Cope" on the Julian Cope album Jehovahkill.
- In the 28th episode of Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog, "Musta Been a Beautiful Baby", Grounder quotes the line after a daycare center requests to see his badges.
- In the TV show "Boy Meets World" episode 5 of season 2 ("The Uninvited") (1994) Cory Matthews says to Shawn Hunter, "Class? We don't need no stinking class."
- In the 2001 movie Bubble Boy, a spoof on the line is delivered when the character Jimmy offers patches as assistance in fixing Slim's flat tire. Slim: "Patches? I could use some stinking patches."
- In the 2008 animated series Ben 10: Alien Force episode "Darkstar Rising" (season 2, episode 1), Ben utters the line, "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges" after the Plumber Police take Kevin's badge.
- In the 2010 musical American Idiot, the character "St. Jimmy" says "We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
- In the 2011 Disney Channel original movie Good Luck Charlie, It's Christmas!, Bob Duncan and his sons encounter men with guns. Bob asks to see their badges, and one of the men replies, "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."
- In a 2011 episode of the television series Portlandia (season 2, episode 5), Fred Armisen's character is demonstrating a new police uniform when he exclaims, "Badges?! We do need some stinkin' badges!"
- In the 2012 roguelike game FTL: Faster Than Light, one of the achievements is titled "I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!"
- Hal Erickson (2010). "Alfonso Bedoya Movies". Blockbuster. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- "AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes". USA Today. 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- "Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (1948)". www.classicfilmguide.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- Hal Erickson (2010). "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)". Blockbuster. Retrieved 2010-04-21.