|Founder(s)||Noah Shanok, Peter deVroede|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2012)|
Stitcher is an on-demand internet radio service that focuses on news and information radio and podcasts. It provides free online streaming through the website and also using native mobile applications such as the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Palm webOS. The company was founded in 2008 and is privately held and venture backed.
Stitcher aggregates content from thousands of content providers and organizes the content into "stations" that listeners can browse and listen to. Audio content is delivered from large media providers such as NPR, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, BBC, AP, TechCrunch and thousands of smaller providers. Content is kept continually up to date via Stitcher's proprietary back-end application, allowing listeners to have access to fresh content while on the go without having to sync their mobile device. However, this access may require costly usage of mobile data in contrast to true podcasts which can be synced through WiFi Internet access and listened to "on the go."
Usage and features
Stitcher streams podcasts to the listener's phone on-demand, rather than requiring the media be downloaded to the device. Stitcher 3.0 for the iPhone (released in December 2009) introduced live streaming to the app, which allowed users to select on-demand shows and live streamed talk-radio programming.
A user can add shows to their favorites station using the “Add to Favorites” button. iPhone users can choose to receive SMS updates when their favorite shows are updated. When new content becomes available, Stitcher will send an email message to a user alerting them that the show was updated along with a direct-play link.
Stitcher offers an Editor's Picks station that provides listeners access to the content editor’s favorite shows.
Stitcher offers stations targeted to specific local audiences.
The application provides personalization via a "favoriting" scheme, where listeners can favorite content they like; Stitcher then aggregates this content in the listener's favorite station. Stitcher also uses a proprietary customization algorithm to order stations according to a user's listening habits.
The personalization algorithm influences which audio shows are recommended to the user. It draws on data such as listening patterns to personalize the content of each station according to the listener's interests and gains more knowledge about the listener over time. Listeners can also "stitch" together a personalized list of their favorite shows.
Stitcher and Internet Radio in cars
At the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show, Ford Motor Company CEO Alan Mulally announced a partnership between Ford, Stitcher, Pandora and a Twitter client called OpenBeak that would bring internet radio into Ford vehicles.
Following this announcement, General Motors has also announced partnerships with Stitcher and Pandora.
Stitcher was first introduced to Apple App Store in August 2008, as Stitcher made the native app available in private beta to 100 testers. The native app provided the same interface as the web application along with features such as automatic updates and "interrupt handling" during phone calls.
- Pandora music
- Internet radio
- TuneIn (formerly called RadioTime)
Notes and references
- Stitcher Radio at CrunchBase
- Benchmark backs Stitcher Radio for $6MM.
- Stitcher, Inc. Announces Partnerships with Leading Publishers and Content Providers: Newsweek, The Wall Street Journal Radio Network, Fox News Radio, Air America Media, POLITICO, IGN.com, TechCrunch, Quick & Dirty Tips and AOL Weblogs including Engadget, Switched, The Unofficial Apple Weblog and Joystiq.
- Kincaid, Jason (14 May 2008). "Stitcher Streams Customized Audio Feeds to Your iPhone". TechCrunch. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Editors Picks on Stitcher.
- iPhone killer-app is letting users choose software.
- TechCrunch: Stitcher Streams Customized Audio Feeds to Your iPhone.
- CNET: First Look at Stitcher.
- Constine, Josh (8 August 2012). "With Installs Up 400%, Stitcher Sounds Like The Pandora Of Talk Radio". TechCrunch. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Ford Sync CES Announcement.
- GM Announcement.
- Download Stitcher Radio.
- TechCrunch: Stitcher Launches Personalized Radio iPhone App In Private Beta.