Stokes Township, Logan County, Ohio
|Stokes Township, Logan County, Ohio|
|• Total||38.2 sq mi (98.9 km2)|
|• Land||32.5 sq mi (84.3 km2)|
|• Water||5.6 sq mi (14.6 km2)|
|Elevation||991 ft (302 m)|
|• Density||165.0/sq mi (63.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086494|
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Goshen Township, Auglaize County - north
- Roundhead Township, Hardin County - northeast
- Richland Township - east
- Washington Township - southeast
- Bloomfield Township - south
- Jackson Township, Shelby County - southwest
- Clay Township, Auglaize County - northwest
A significant portion of eastern Stokes Township is occupied by Indian Lake.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Stokes Township is located in Madison County.
The township was also involved in one of the last county border changes in Ohio. This change occurred in 1888 when part of Stokes Township was exchanged with Clay Township in Auglaize County for part of that county's Goshen Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
In the Elections of November 2011, Five men were on the ballot for Stokes Township Trustee. Bob Lehman, incumbent, Orvil W. Wickersham, Tom Brademeyer, Terry Brentlinger, and Tim Shoffstall. Out of the Five candidates it came down to Incumbent Bob Lehman, and Orvil Wickersham. Just by Three Votes Orvil Wickersham took the Township Trustee office. Joan Schwieterman Shouse took the Fiscal Officer Position Unopposed.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Logan County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 12 May 2007.
- http://www.myohiogenealogy.com/oh_maps/oh_cf.htm Ohio County Formation Maps. Ohio Genealogical Society. Accessed 05 July 2007. "Year 1888".