|Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 38|
February 1, 1990 |
San Cristóbal, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 4, 2013 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||1.93|
Minor league career
He was signed by the Red Sox as an international free agent on July 2, 2006 as a 16 year old by then Boston Scout Luis Scheker. He made his debut the next season with the DSL Red Sox, going 3-1 with a 2.90 ERA in 13 starts. He made the trip to America for the 2008 season, playing it with Low-A Lowell, going 5-2 with a 3.14 ERA in 11 starts. He played 2009 with Single-A Greenville, going 10-7 with a 3.82 ERA in 23 starts. He played 2010 with High-A Salem going 9-11 with a 4.06 ERA in 26 starts. Despite the worst season of his short career, he was nominated to the All-Star Futures Game facing 2 batters, Logan Morrison and Danny Espinosa, retiring them both. In the offseason, Pimentel signed a one-year, $414,000 deal, protecting him from the Rule V Draft. He started 2011 with Double-A Portland, but he went 0-9 with a 9.12 ERA in 15 starts, leading to a demotion back to Salem. He finished the season 6-13 with a 6.79 ERA in 25 starts.
On December 26, 2012 the Red Sox traded him (along with Mark Melancon, Jerry Sands and Iván DeJesús, Jr.) to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Brock Holt and Joel Hanrahan. He made his MLB debut on September 4, 2013 for the Pirates.
Pimentel has 4 pitches: a four-seam fastball, a 12-6 curveball, a changeup and a two-seam cut fastball. His four-seamer ranges from 92-95, his cutter is 89-92, his curve around the low 70s, and his changeup around 78-82. He is an aggressive pitcher.
- "Stolmy Pimentel Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Web.minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Stolmy Pimentel Statistics (2008-2012)". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Stolmy Pimentel Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. 1990-02-01. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- rates.html Red Sox Acquire Joel Hanrahan From Pirates
- "Stolmy Pimentel". SoxProspects.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)