Stony Brook (LIRR station)
Looking west from the platforms at Stony Brook Station.
|Location||New York State Route 25A & Chapman Street
Stony Brook, NY
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| Suffolk County Transit: S60, S71, S76, 3D
SUNY at Stony Brook Buses: O (outer loop), R (railroad - weekdays), R1 (railroad east - weekends) & R2 (railroad bus - weekends) 
Stony Brook is a historic station on the Port Jefferson Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. It is located in Stony Brook on the southeast side of New York State Route 25A, across the street from the intersection of Route 25A with Cedar Street. On the opposite side of the tracks is the State University of New York at Stony Brook. There is also an at-grade pedestrian crossing between the station and a parking lot at the University. This train station is located in the Three Village Central School District.
Stony Brook station was built in 1873 by the Smithtown and Port Jefferson Railroad (although some sources have claimed it was built in 1888), and rebuilt in 1917. Despite the impact of the arrival of Stony Brook University in 1957, the station has remained a small one-story depot. Parking has always been limited, but efforts to increase capacity at the station have been attempted both by SUNY and NYSDOT.
When the Flowerfield station (to the west) closed in 1958 and the Setauket station (to the east) closed in 1980, Stony Brook station became the penultimate station on the Port Jefferson Branch. Beginning in April 2010, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority planned a renovation project that was intended to last until January 2011.
Platforms and tracks
|Main||■Port Jefferson Branch||toward New York (St. James)|
|■Port Jefferson Branch||toward Port Jefferson (Terminus)|
Between 1986 and 1988, the two tracks at Stony Brook were realigned. Thus, the two tracks are now a pretty good distance away from the station building. Also, at this time, high level platforms were added.
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Port Jefferson Branch Stations (Unofficial LIRR History Website)
- Morrison, David D.; Pakaluk, Valerie (2003). Long Island Rail Road Stations. Images of Rail. Chicago: Arcadia Publishing. p. 80. ISBN 0-7385-1180-3. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Stony Brook Station Renovations Underway (MTA)
- Official LIRR station information page for Stony Brook
- Station timetable for Stony Brook
- STONY Interlocking (The LIRR Today)
- Stony Brook University Campus Bus Map (PDF.file)
- March 1999 Photograph (Unofficial LIRR History web site)
- Stony Brook Station (The SubwayNut)
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
- Two images from 1905 (TrainsAreFun.com)