Karis (left), Courtney (middle) and Alexandra (right)
|Origin||South East London, England|
|Genres||R&B, soul, hip hop, pop|
Stooshe (stylised as stooshe.) are an English girl group from London, consisting of members Alexandra Buggs, Karis Anderson and Courtney Rumbold. They were signed to Warner Music in August 2011 and they released their first promotional single, "Betty Woz Gone", in October 2011. It was announced on 5 December that Stooshe had been nominated for the BBC's Sound of 2012 poll.
Their official debut single, "Love Me" featuring American rapper Travie McCoy, saw the group attain chart success, with the single peaking at number five on the UK Singles Chart. They released "Black Heart" in June 2012, which peaked at number three after a month in the top ten. A cover of TLC's "Waterfalls" was released as a single in November 2012. "Slip" was released as the third single from their forthcoming debut album on 12 May 2013, it was a number 12 hit in the UK. Their debut album, London with the Lights On, debuted at number 8 in the UK Albums Chart on 2 June 2013.
Stooshe was formed in May 2010 and signed to Warner Music in August 2011. The original concept was to create an urban and soulful Spice Girls. Alexandra Buggs, Karis Anderson and Courtney Rumbold were put together by writer and manager Jo Perry, following a series of auditions and scouting in UK fashion shop Topshop over a nine-month period. Perry explained to HitQuarters why she chose this unconventional location for talent spotting:
Using tracks from writing/production duo Future Cut, the group spent the next twelve months developing their look and sound. Anderson revealed that the band's name originates from the word 'stoosh', which is urban slang for something expensive, "a girl who thinks she's nicer than she is", or being stoned or stashed away. The contrasting meanings confirmed their choice. They then added 'she' on the end for female empowerment or girl power. The resulting name is pronounced like the Scottish word "stooshie".
2011–present: Commercial breakthrough and London with the Lights On
The group released their first song, "Love Me", on YouTube on 14 March 2011, which was accompanied by the release of a music video; originally featuring rapper Suave Debonair. The release was met with mixed reviews, with The Guardian's Paul Lester reporting, "You can tell there's a proper grown-up, soul-infused girl-pop group waiting to come out", despite the music video proving an internet hit - surpassing 100,000 views. The group also recorded a music video for "Hot Stepper", a cover of the 1994 hit "Here Comes the Hotstepper" by Ini Kamoze at Hyde Park's Wireless Festival in July 2011, following their appearance on the Barclaycard Unwind Stage.
The second single, "Betty Woz Gone", was released onto iTunes on 28 October 2011, earning placement on BBC Radio 1's In New Music We Trust playlist. An official lyric video accompanied the release, following the story of Betty as told by cartoon versions of the group. It was revealed in November 2011 that the group would re-record and release "Fuck Me" as "Love Me" on 4 March 2012 as their first official single, with US rapper Travie McCoy as the featured artist. Having been produced by Future Cut, the re-recorded track was posted online on 4 January 2012 and served as the lead single from their forthcoming album, Stooshe. The track marked the group's first chart appearance, debuting at number five on the UK Singles Chart - having sold 37,789 copies, also peaking at number seven on the Scottish Singles Chart for the week ending 17 March 2012.
Stooshe released their second single, "Black Heart", on 15 June 2012—becoming the group's second top five single when it peaked at number three on the UK chart. It was announced in June 2012 that the group would be supporting American rapper Nicki Minaj on the UK leg of the Pink Friday Tour. Stooshe performed a brief set on the Bingley Music Live main stage on 31 August 2012. It was announced in October 2012 that the group would be supporting Jennifer Lopez on a part of the European leg of the Dance Again World Tour.
On 15 November, it was reported that the album's release would be delayed until March 2013 after their cover of TLC classic nineties track Waterfalls missed the Top 20. A statement from the group explained "Following a late rush of creativity which has seen them write some of the best songs of their career, Stooshe have decided to delay the release of their debut album until March 2013 so they have time to record these songs for inclusion on the album." Stooshe added that they would be going back to the studio soon to record the new songs. Stooshe's debut album was released on 27 May 2013, under the title London with the Lights On. Their performed "Slip" on Britain's Got More Talent TV show on 1 June 2013. London with the Lights On entered the UK albums chart at Number 8 giving the group their first top 10 album. "My Man Music" was announced as the fourth single from the album. The video was released on 23 of June 2013. The trio have revealed that they plan to launch their career in America.
However in Late 2013 the band split from their record label due to disagreements over their debut album London with the Lights On and the album's poor chart performance compared to singles Love Me and Black Heart. They are currently working (As of February 2014) independently on their second album.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
Courtney Mariah Rumbold, born 11 July 1992, was born and raised in Penge in London. She was educated at Cator Park School for Girls in Beckenham, London. She is the youngest member of the band. Courtney was the first to join the group and also came out to her immediate family in the original version of their first single "Love Me". She is one quarter Jamaican and used to work in M&S.
Alexandra Stephanie Buggs, born 1 November 1989, was born and raised in Chart Sutton, Maidstone. She lives with her mother, father and her four siblings. She was educated at Shernold School and Invicta Grammar School in Maidstone, Kent. She joined Stooshe in June 2010. Alex was the second to join the group after finishing studying at university, she studied marketing. Alexandra has followed her mothers footsteps by becoming a singer, her mother being Stephanie Benson. She held record for 9 years at Invicta Grammar school for 200 metres. In 2013, the record was broken.
- London with the Lights On (2013)
Awards and nominations
|2011||BBC||Sound of 2012||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|2012||4Music Video Honours||Best Breakthrough||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|Best Video of 2012||"Black Heart"||Nominated|
|Best Video of 2012||"Love Me"||Nominated|
|MOBO Awards||Best Newcomer||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|2013||BRIT Awards||Best British Single||"Black Heart"||Nominated|||
|Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards||PPL Breakthrough UK Artist of the Year||Stooshe||Nominated|||
- The Papercut Chronicles II Tour (supporting Gym Class Heroes) (January 2012)
- Pink Friday Tour (supporting Nicki Minaj) (June 2012)
- Dance Again World Tour (supporting Jennifer Lopez) (October 2012)
- Stooshe Live Tour (UK Headline Tour) (12–18 December 2012)
- "BBC - Sound of 2012 - Stooshe - Profile". BBC. 2011-12-05.
- "The Official Charts Company - Stooshe". The Official Charts Company. 6 May 2013.
- "Interview with Jo Perry". HitQuarters. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 2 Jun 2013.
- "Stooshe may not be sweet, but they're certainly spicy". Daily Mirror. 2011-08-12.
- "Ones to Watch - Stooshe". Digital Spy. 2011-10-31.
- "Stooshe 'Fuck Me' (Official Music Video)". YouTube. 2011-03-11.
- "Band of the Day #1012 - Stooshe". The Guardian. 2011-04-27.
- "Stooshe debut 'Hot Stepper' music video". Digital Spy. 2011-07-23.
- "Stooshe "Betty Woz Gone" (Official Lyric Video)". Youtube. 2011-09-23.
- "Stooshe confirm Travie McCoy duet for debut single". DigitalSpy. 2011-11-28.
- "'Love Me' featuring Travie McCoy by Stooshe - Audio". Stooshe.com. 2012-01-04.
- Peak positions in Scotland:
- Corner, Lewis (31 May 2012). "Nicki Minaj confirms Stooshe as UK tour support". Digital Spy. (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- Loading... (2012-09-19). "Jennifer Lopez Hires Stooshe For UK Tour Support - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- Copsey, Robert (15 November 2012). "Stooshe delay debut album until March 2013". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (18 March 2013). "Stooshe confirm new single 'Slip', album release dates". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Meet The Girls - Alex". Stooshe.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "4Music Video Honours 2012". 4Music. Box Television. October 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Daniels, Colin (17 September 2012). "MOBO Awards 2012: Nominations in full - Labrinth, Rita Ora, more". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Eames, Tom (10 January 2013). "Brit Awards 2013: Nominations in full". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Goodacre, Kate (4 July 2013). "Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards 2013: All the winners and nominees". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 20 July 2013.