Stop Islamisation of Europe
|Stop Islamisation of Europe|
|Motto||Racism is the lowest form of human stupidity, but Islamophobia is the height of common sense|
|Website||Stop Islamisation of Europe|
|Part of a series on|
Stop Islamisation of Europe (SIOE), also known as Stop the Islamification of Europe, is a group with the self-declared goal of "preventing Islam becoming a dominant political force in Europe". It is a political interest group which has been active in Denmark and has conducted anti-Islamic protests in the United Kingdom. The group originated out of the joining of the Danish group Stop Islamiseringen af Danmark with English anti-Islam activists.
The group describes itself as an alliance "with the single aim of preventing Islam becoming a dominant political force in Europe." The organisation calls for the total boycott of Muslim countries. The group advises boycotts of companies including Fisher Price, Asda, Kentucky Fried Chicken and The Radisson Hotel chain due to their marketing of products to Muslims.
The group Stop the Islamification of Europe was inspired by a Danish group of the same name which have held protests outside Danish mosques since the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy. The group has 6,600 supporters on its Facebook page. Social networking sites have been used to plan protests.
Stephen Gash (born 1953) stood in the Sedgefield by-election, 2007 (triggered by the resignation of Prime Minister Tony Blair) for the English Democrats Party. Gash gained 177 votes (this represented 0.6% of the votes cast at the election) . According to his election literature the main themes of his campaign were support for an English Parliament, resolving the West Lothian question and immigration control. Gash has also contested local elections for Carlisle City Council.
Anders Gravers Pedersen
Anders Gravers Pedersen was born in Denmark and lives in the small town of Storvorde. He contested municipal elections in Aalborg in 2005 and gained 383 votes and the group Stop the Islamisation of Denmark received a total of 1172 votes. This represented less than 1% of the votes cast in the election. At the 2007 Danish Parliamentary Election Pedersen stood in Jutland and gained 73 votes.
Harrow Central Mosque protest
On 11 September 2009, SIOE co-sponsored a demonstration with the English Defence League in Harrow which generated national and international media attention. The purpose of the demonstration was to campaign against the building of a five storey mosque, Harrow Central Mosque, which was under construction. The group had pledged to hold a peaceful protest after the EDL cancelled a planned protest on 29 August 2009.
In response to the protest, several Jewish community leaders condemned the group, after SIOE openly appealed to the Jewish community in an effort to encourage 1,000 Jews to carry the Israeli flag and support the protest. Rabbis Kathleen Middleton, Frank Smith, Aaron Goldstein, Hillel Robles and Mike Hilton sent a letter supporting the Harrow Mosque, saying SIOE use "outrageous lies" to try and divide Harrow's community, adding “As leaders of the Jewish community in Harrow, we are writing to express our support for our Muslim friends and neighbours, especially those at Harrow Central Mosque, who are under attack from those whose only purpose is to spread hatred and fear."  The protests were also condemned by Councillor Susan Hall and Tory councillors Anjana Patel and Jeremy Zeid (who are Hindu and Jewish respectively), by The Jewish Chronicle newspaper, and the Community Security Trust (CST), which monitors discrimination on behalf of the Jewish community in the UK. The CST asserted that SIOE "...provides the fuel for terrorism. British Jews should have no part of it." Unite Against Fascism was present to oppose the demo, as well as Muslims there to defend the mosque. In all, over 1000 people gathered outside the mosque. Counter demonstrators clashed with the police, throwing bricks, bottles and firecrackers. Ten arrests were made during the protests, including the organiser of the protest Stephen Gash.
Stop the Islamification of Europe was originally a Danish anti-Islamist group which originated out of the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy. The group was founded in 2007 by Anders Gravers Pedersen, the leader of a small Danish party called the Stop the Islamisation of Denmark (Danish: Stop Islamiseringen af Danmark). On 11 September 2007, the group staged a demonstration in Brussels, Belgium.
Affiliate organisations have been created in 11 European countries including Denmark, Hungary, Russia, Finland, France, Germany, Norway, Poland, Romania, and Sweden, as well as the United States of America.
In September 2009, John Denham, Labour's Communities Secretary, criticised the group and stated that it was "trying to provoke violence on Britain's streets" and called it "right-wing". Unite Against Fascism have opposed the group. The British National Party has consistently denied any links with SIOE.
- Criticism of Islam
- Criticism of multiculturalism
- English Defence League
- Islam in Belgium
- Islam in Denmark
- Islam in Europe
- Islam in the United Kingdom
- Stop Islamization of America
- Stop the Islamisation of Norway
- Taylor, Jerome (2009-09-11). "Riot police called in as demonstrators clash at anti-Muslim protest - Home News, UK". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "8 arrested at protest outside mosque in London". CNN.com. 2009-09-11. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "London police arrest 10 after anti-Islam protest turns ugly | Europe | Deutsche Welle | 11.09.2009". Dw-world.de. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "About SIOE « SIOE Stop Islamisation Of Europe". Sioe.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "UK | England | London | Denham condemns right-wing groups". BBC News. 2009-09-12. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- (AFP) – 1 day ago. "AFP: Riot police quell clashes at anti-Islam demo in London". Google.com. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Boycotts « SIOE Stop Islamisation Of Europe". Sioe.wordpress.com. 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Sedgefield 2007". By-elections.co.uk. 2007-07-19. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "English Democrats". By-elections.co.uk. 2007-07-19. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Siad.dk - Si Ad - Stop Islamiseringen af Danmark". Whois.domaintools.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Google Translate". Translate.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-09-15.. Summer Editors: Radical Right hooligan mobilization without success.
- "Google Translate". Translate.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-09-15.. Right-wing independents defeated, It was less than 100 personal votes to two independents who are known from immigrant-hostile associations. By Elisabeth Arnsdorf Haslund, firstname.lastname@example.org
- "UK Indymedia - 15 Lonely Fascists Protest in Central London". Indymedia.org.uk. 2007-10-26. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- Hamilton, Fiona (2009-09-12). "Street fights erupt as Muslims try to defend North London mosque". Times Online. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Royston, Jack (21). "Harrow Council backs Harrow Mosque over 9/11 protest". Harrow Times. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Arrests at anti-Islam demo". Itn.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Kirk, Tristan (December 7). "Jewish community hits out at 'divisive' anti-Muslim protesters". Harrow Times. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Elgot, Jessica (30). "CST warns Jews against joining anti-Muslim demo". Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "UK | England | London | Ten arrested over mosque protest". BBC News. 2009-09-11. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Rally turns violent at London mosque - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- (UKPA) – 22 hours ago. "The Press Association: 10 arrests at mosque demonstration". Google.com. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Jones, Aidan (2009-09-11). "Rightwing and anti-fascist protesters riot in London | World news | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Anti-Islam group wants to protest again in Harrow (From Harrow Times)". Harrowtimes.co.uk. 2009-10-02. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Taylor, Jerome (2009-09-11). "Riot police called in as demonstrators clash at anti-Muslim protest - Home News, UK". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "SIOE Stop Islamisation Of Europe". Sioe.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "UAF Violent Thugs Attack Police in Pro-Islamification Riot". British National Party. Retrieved 2009-09-13.