Storm & Grace
|Storm & Grace|
|Studio album by Lisa Marie Presley|
|Released||May 15, 2012|
Deluxe Edition cover
|Lisa Marie Presley chronology|
|Singles from Storm & Grace|
Storm & Grace is the third studio album from American singer/songwriter Lisa Marie Presley. It was released on May 15, 2012 in the United States and Canada. It is the singer's first album in seven years, since the release of Now What. Storm & Grace is also her first album released as part of Universal Republic, after leaving her previous label, Capitol. The album was produced by T-Bone Burnett. The first single to be released from the album was "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet".
Presley originally began work on the album in 2010. She confirmed during an interview with Oprah Winfrey on "Oprah" that she was in London recording a new album which, at the time, was due for release in 2011.
"Just over two years ago, I went to England to attempt to write another record after finding myself in a considerably disheartened and uninspired state creatively. Over an 8-month period, I wrote 30 songs. I was fortunate to be able to write with some incredible artists and singers such as Richard Hawley (from Pulp), Ed Harcourt, Sacha Skarbek and Fran Healy (from Travis), to name a few," said Presley. "Nothing was planned or contrived in any way, and out of it came a very organic record that was always inside of me and that I am incredibly proud of. It was a dream come true and such an honor when T-Bone liked the songs and produced and played on the record."
"When songs from Lisa Marie Presley showed up at my door, I was curious. I wondered what the daughter of an American revolutionary music artist had to say. What I heard was honest, raw, unaffected and soulful. I thought her father would be proud of her. The more I listened to the songs, the deeper an artist I found her to be. Listening beyond the media static, Lisa Marie Presley is a Southern American folk music artist of great value," said Burnett.
For promotion of both Storm & Grace and the single "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet", Presley and her label announced promotional stops throughout the release week of May 14 to May 18. On May 15, Presley appeared on the morning news program "Good Morning America, "American Idol" on May 17, "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on May 21 and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on May 22. Presley also celebrated the album's release by signing copies of the disc at Sun Studios in Memphis, Tennessee on Monday, May 14, 2012, while on May 17 American Express sponsored and presented "An Evening with Lisa Marie Presley" at the Grammy Museum's Clive Davis Theater.
Spinner.com observed: "Presley has made the strongest album of her career in the upcoming Storm & Grace. It's a moody masterpiece, exploring the demons and angels of her life to the tune of country-spiced downbeat pop."
Rolling Stone complimented the album by saying, "Storm & Grace is the album she was born to make -- a raw, powerful country, folk and blues collection that finds her embracing her Southern roots and family name", while Entertainment Weekly praised its "smoky, spooky single 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet'."
"On her first two albums, Lisa Marie Presley wanted to be a pop star with a difference; on Storm & Grace, she clearly would rather be an artist, and if she's still working her musical shortcomings out of her system, this is a stronger, more mature, and more effective work than one might have expected. Nearly ten years into a recording career she may or may not have wanted, Presley is finally developing a musical personality that truly suits her," Allmusic said, complimenting of Presley's work on the album.
|2.||"You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet"||
|4.||"Close to the Edge"||
|7.||"Soften the Blows"||
|8.||"Storm of Nails"||
|9.||"How Do You Fly This Plane?"||Hawley||4:03|
|11.||"Storm & Grace"||Hawley||4:18|
|Deluxe edition |
|13.||"Sticks and Stones"||
|14.||"I Was Wrong"||Hawley||2:49|
|15.||"Just a Dream"||Hawley||3:05|
Charts and certification
|Canadian Albums Chart||80|
|US Billboard 200||45|
|US Billboard Rock Albums||21|
|United States||May 15, 2012||
- iTunes (2012-04-17). "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - Single (iTunes)". Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- Deming, Mark (2012-05-15). "Storm & Grace - Lisa Marie Presley". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Music Reviews: Storm & Grace". Rolling Stone. May 15, 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Lisa Marie Presley slates new CD". Country Standard Time. 2012-03-14. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- Oprah Show: Interview with Lisa Marie Presley, October 21, 2010.
- Jamieson, Alastair (October 15, 2009). "Elvis Presley's grandson Benjamin Presley Keough pictured outside London nightclub". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved May 7, 2010.
- Martens, Todd (2012-05-16). "Lisa Marie Presley tunes in to her roots with ‘Storm & Grace’". LATimes.com Blog. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "Lisa Marie Presley Releasing First Album in Five Years". Billboard. 2012-03-15. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- "Lisa Marie Presley Launches New Album, Storm & Grace, with Appearances on "Good Morning America," "American Idol," "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," and "Jimmy Kimmel Live"". MarketWatch.com (PR). 2012-05-03. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Drew, Ian (2012-05-16). "Exclusive: Lisa Marie Presley: "I Don’t Have It In Me" To Be an American Idol Judge". USMagazine.com. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "Lisa Marie Presley slates new CD". Spinner.com. 2012-03-14. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- Deming, Mark (2012-05-15). "Storm & Grace - Review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "Chart listing for Storm & Grace". Billboard. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- "Hits Daily Double". Hitsdailydouble.com. 2012-05-24. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- "Exclusive: Lisa Marie Presley Returns to Her Roots for New Album". Rolling Stone Magazine. 2012-03-15. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- iTunes. "Storm & Grace Deluxe Edition". Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- "CANOE - JAM! Music - SoundScan Charts". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2014-05-10.