Location of Story, Wyoming
|• Total||7.1 sq mi (18 km2)|
|• Land||7.1 sq mi (18 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,036 ft (1,535 m)|
|• Density||120/sq mi (45/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||1603389|
The region around Story was part of the Old West. The Bozeman Trail passed by town in the mid-1860s. Two important battles of the war between the United States and the Plains Indians happened nearby. The 1866 Fetterman Fight was a victory of the Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians over soldiers of the United States army, and the 1867 Wagon Box Fight involved Lakota Sioux and soldiers from nearby Fort Phil Kearny.
Story is located at (44.576978, -106.908109).
As of the census of 2000, there were 887 people, 420 households, and 272 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 64.6 people per square mile (24.9/km²). There were 667 housing units at an average density of 48.6/sq mi (18.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 98.87% White, 0.11% African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.23% from other races, and 0.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.35% of the population.
There were 420 households out of which 20.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 4.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.2% were non-families. 30.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.11 and the average family size was 2.56.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 17.4% under the age of 18, 4.2% from 18 to 24, 21.2% from 25 to 44, 34.9% from 45 to 64, and 22.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 109.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $33,125, and the median income for a family was $45,000. Males had a median income of $29,028 versus $23,958 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,053. About 12.1% of families and 15.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.6% of those under age 18 and 11.5% of those age 65 or over.
Public education in the community of Story is provided by Sheridan County School District #2. Although Story's census-designated place (CDP) boundary extends onto land that is zoned to Sheridan County School District #1, the populated areas are served by Sheridan County School District #2.
Story Elementary School is located in the community and serves students in grades K-5. Secondary school students attend Sheridan Junior High School (grades 6-8) and Sheridan High School (grades 9-12), which are located in nearby Sheridan.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Story Hatchery & Visitor Center". Wyoming Game & Fish Department. February 26, 2002. Retrieved December 16, 2014. Archived December 16, 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Story Hatchery & Visitor Center". Wyoming Game & Fish Department. 2013. Retrieved December 16, 2014. Archived April 4, 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Wyoming Department of Transportation (2014). Official State Highway Map of Wyoming (Map).
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Wyoming Place Names". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 13, 2012.