The Story Prize
The Story Prize is an annual book award established in 2004 that honors the author of an outstanding collection of short fiction with a $20,000 cash award. Each of two runners-up receives $5,000. Eligible books must be written in English and first published in the United States during a calendar year. The founder of the prize is Julie Lindsey, and the director is Larry Dark. He was previously series editor for the annual short story anthology Prize Stories: The O. Henry Awards from 1997-2002.
Publishers, editors, or agents may enter a short story collection written in English by a living author and published in the U.S. during a calendar year. Three finalists are announced in January. These authors participate in an award event at the New School in New York City in late February or early March at which they read from their work and have an on-stage discussion with Dark. At the end of the event, Julie Lindsey announces the winner, who, in addition to the prize money, receives an engraved silver bowl.
Finalists and winners
The winner for books published in 2012 was announced at The New School University in New York City on March 13, 2013.
The winner for 2011 was announced at an event at The New School University in New York City on March 21, 2012.
The winner for 2010 was announced at an event at The New School University in New York City on March 2, 2011.
The winner for 2009 was announced at an event at The New School University in New York City on March 3, 2010.
- Daniyal Mueenuddin, In Other Rooms, Other Wonders
- Victoria Patterson, Drift
- Wells Tower, Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned
- Jim Shepard, Like You'd Understand, Anyway
- Tessa Hadley, Sunstroke and Other Stories
- Vincent Lam, Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures
- Mary Gordon, The Stories of Mary Gordon
- Rick Bass, The Lives of Rocks
- George Saunders, In Persuasion Nation
- Patrick O'Keeffe, The Hill Road
- Jim Harrison, The Summer He Didn't Die
- Maureen F. McHugh, Mothers and other Monsters
The Story Prize Spotlight Award
A new award established in 2013 to honor an additional collection worthy of attention.
- "Anthony Doerr's Memory Wall Wins The Story Prize", Larry Dark, official TSP Blog, March 3, 2011
- "Daniyal Mueenuddin's In Other Rooms, Other Wonders Wins The Story Prize", Larry Dark, official TSP Blog, March 3, 2010