Story of Your Life
|"Story of Your Life"|
|Genre(s)||Science fiction short story|
|Published in||Starlight 2|
Story of Your Life is a science fiction short story by Ted Chiang. It was the winner of the 2000 Nebula Award for Best Novella as well as the 1999 Sturgeon award. The major themes explored by this tale are determinism, language, and an interesting take on the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis.
Dr. Louise Banks is enlisted by the military to communicate with a race of radially symmetrical aliens who initiated first contact with humanity. Woven through the story are remembrances of her daughter.
The heptapods have two distinct forms of language. Heptapod A is their spoken language, which is described as having free word order and many levels of center-embedded clauses. Understanding Heptapod B, the written language of the aliens, is central to the plot. Unlike its spoken counterpart, Heptapod B has such complex structure that a single semagram cannot be excluded without changing the entire meaning of a sentence.
Dr. Banks's understanding of the heptapods' writing system affects the way she perceives time and suggests a deterministic universe where free will is exercised by not affecting the outcome of events.
- Winner of the 2000 Nebula Award for best novella
- Winner of the 1999 Sturgeon Award
- Short listed for the 1999 Tiptree Award
- Ranked 10th on the 1999 Locus poll for best novella
- Nominated for the 1999 Hugo Award for best novella
- Nominated for the 1999 HOMer award for best novella
An adaptation scripted by Eric Heisserer has been planned since at least November 2012 involving the production company FilmNation Entertainment. On 2 April 2014, Deadline.com revealed that Denis Villeneuve is set to direct a film adaptation written by Eric Heisserer and co-produced by FilmNation Entertainment and Lava Bear Films. Amy Adams is "in early talks" for the lead role.
- LOCUS Index to SF Awards
- "New Sci-Fi Thriller, Story Of Your Life, Has A Great Concept And Fresh Funding". bleedingcool.com. November 27, 2012. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Shawn Levy To Tell Story Of Your Life". empireonline.com. November 28, 2013. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Ted Chiang|