Story of Your Life
|"Story of Your Life"|
|Genre(s)||Science fiction short story|
|Published in||Starlight 2|
Story of Your Life is a science fiction short story by Ted Chiang. It was the winner of the 2000 Nebula Award for Best Novella as well as the 1999 Sturgeon award. The major themes explored by this tale are determinism, language, and an interesting take on the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis.
A film adaptation expected to be released in 2016 has been confirmed in May 2014. Amy Adams has signed on for the lead role, while Denis Villeneuve is set to direct, based on a script penned by Eric Heisserer.
Dr. Louise Banks is enlisted by the military to communicate with a race of radially symmetrical aliens who initiated first contact with humanity. Woven through the story are remembrances of her daughter.
The heptapods have two distinct forms of language. Heptapod A is their spoken language, which is described as having free word order and many levels of center-embedded clauses. Understanding Heptapod B, the written language of the aliens, is central to the plot. Unlike its spoken counterpart, Heptapod B has such complex structure that a single semagram cannot be excluded without changing the entire meaning of a sentence.
Dr. Banks's understanding of the heptapods' writing system affects the way she perceives time and suggests a deterministic universe where free will is exercised by not affecting the outcome of events.
- Winner of the 2000 Nebula Award for best novella
- Winner of the 1999 Sturgeon Award
- Short listed for the 1999 Tiptree Award
- Ranked 10th on the 1999 Locus poll for best novella
- Nominated for the 1999 Hugo Award for best novella
- Nominated for the 1999 HOMer award for best novella
On 2 April 2014, Deadline.com revealed that Denis Villeneuve is set to direct a film adaptation written by Eric Heisserer and co-produced by FilmNation Entertainment and Lava Bear Films. Amy Adams is "in early talks" for the lead role.
On 14 May 2014, Paramount Vantage issued a press release stating it had acquired the North American distribution rights for the Story of Your Life film adaptation, with a tentative release year of 2016. Both director Denis Villeneuve and lead actress Amy Adams have been confirmed for the project, based on "a new draft of a script" by Eric Heisserer.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Ted Chiang|
- LOCUS Index to SF Awards
- "New Sci-Fi Thriller, Story Of Your Life, Has A Great Concept And Fresh Funding". bleedingcool.com. November 27, 2012. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Shawn Levy To Tell Story Of Your Life". empireonline.com. November 28, 2013. Retrieved June 23, 2013.