Stowe Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
A small part of the West Park neighborhood in Stowe Township. Sto-Rox High School is visible.
Location within Allegheny County
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.0 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|• Density||2,700/sq mi (1,000/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Stowe Township has partnered with the Allegheny Together organization to revitalize its main business district on Broadway Avenue.
The area is well served by Port Authority bus routes 21A, 21B, 21C, 21D, 21F, CO, and 24A.
Stowe Township is located at .(40.479668, -80.07389)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2), of which 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), or 15.38%, is water.
- Island Heights, only accessible through Kennedy Township, located on a slope overlooking Neville Island
- Pittock, very small Italian neighborhood located just off PA 51 Northbound, before the Fleming Park Bridge
- West Park, a mixed residential and commercial neighborhood, where the majority of the buildings were built in the 1920s
- Pleasant Ridge, a mixed-income housing development
- Presston, a very small neighborhood of duplex townhomes, originally built as housing for the adjacent Pressed Steel Car Company
- Norwood, a small, older neighborhood of small, mostly 2 story homes. This section of Stowe Township is inhabited by many families that are 2nd and 3rd generation Italian.
Stowe Township is bordered by Kennedy Township to the west and McKees Rocks to the south. To the northeast, across the Ohio River, are the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Brighton Heights and the boroughs of Bellevue and Avalon. Neville Island in the Ohio River is to the north, via the Fleming Park Bridge.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,706 people, 3,061 households, and 1,805 families residing in the township. The population density was 3,391.4 people per square mile (1,307.7/km²). There were 3,556 housing units at an average density of 1,798.3/sq mi (693.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 90.44% White, 8.04% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.22% from other races, and 0.92% from two or more races. 0.42% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,061 households out of which 21.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.0% were married couples living together, 15.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.0% were non-families. 36.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the township the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 23.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 87.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $29,688, and the median income for a family was $36,688. Males had a median income of $31,151 versus $28,221 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,783. About 9.0% of families and 13.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.2% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
- One of the oldest buildings in Allegheny County is located at the corner of Broadway and Dohrman Streets in the Stowe Township business district. This commercial structure was built in 1839 and has withstood the test of time.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Stowe township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Stowe Township at Allegheny Together
- Sto-Rox School District
- Post-Gazette Articles - Stowe police to watch street on video cameras/Ceremony to start municipal building work