Stowmarket railway station
|The front of the station|
|Local authority||Mid Suffolk|
|Managed by||Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1846|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Stowmarket from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Stowmarket railway station serves the town of Stowmarket in Suffolk, England. The station is on the Great Eastern Main Line from London Liverpool Street to Norwich. It is also the junction of the line to Bury St Edmunds. It is served by Abellio Greater Anglia.
The station was opened by the Ipswich and Bury Railway in 1846 with red brick main buildings in a flamboyant Jacobean manner by Frederick Barnes. The buildings, which are Grade II listed, were restored in 1987. The line through the station was electrifed by British Rail in 1985.
A small convenience store selling hot and cold drinks, magazines, newspapers, snacks and cigarettes is on Platform 2. Disabled access between platforms is possible using the Stowupland Road level crossing.
The sidings at Marsh Lane, south of the station, are used by Direct Rail Services as a locomotive stabling point. A crew office is provided on Platform 1 of the station.
The Abellio Greater Anglia services calling at Stowmarket in 2014 consist of trains between London Liverpool Street/Ipswich and Norwich and others between Ipswich and Cambridge or Peterborough via Bury St Edmunds.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Abellio Greater Anglia
|Abellio Greater Anglia|
Line open, station closed
|Great Eastern Railway||
Line and station open
These services depart from the forecourt of the station or on Stowupland Road. Other services depart from the centre of Stowmarket. These services are operated by First and Galloway.
- 87 (Ipswich - Claydon - Needham Market - Stowmarket - Station - Cedars Park - Stowupland)
- 384 (Station - Stowmarket - Haughley - Wetherden - Elmswell - Woolpit - Thurston - Moreton Hall - Bury St Edmunds)
- 385 (Stowmarket - Station - Old Newton - Haughley - Wetherden - Elmswell - Woolpit - Norton - Thurston - Moreton Hall)
- 456 (Stowmarket - Station - Old Newton - Bacton - Wyverstone - Finningham - Stoke Ash - Eye - Mellis - Diss)
- 456 (Stowmarket - Station - Old Newton - Bacton - Wyverstone - Finningham - Gislingham)
- 457 (Stowmarket - Station - Mendlesham - Finningham)
- 459 (Stowmarket - Station - Stowupland - Mendlesham)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stowmarket railway station.|