|Cadastral district of Prague|
|Incorporated into Prague||1922|
|• Total||6.18 km2 (2.39 sq mi)|
Strašnice is a cadastral district in Prague. It became part of Prague on 1 January 1922. It lies mostly in the municipal and administrative district of Prague 10 while a small part is in Prague 3. The district is bordered by Vršovice, Vinohrady, Žižkov, Malešice, Hostivař, Záběhlice and Michle.
Only four streets in Strašnice are in Prague 3, while 180 streets of the district are in Prague 10. The area contains Strašnice Crematorium, an Evangelical cemetery and the Parish Congregation of the Evangelical Church.
Parish of Strašnice
The parish of Strašnice was created in 1929 although it was a parish without a church. The congregation initially met at a private house until a small chapel could be built. The desire to build a proper church was held up initially by lack of funds, then by the Second World War and finally by the communist regime. The idea was reinvigorated by the Prague Spring and a foundation stone was laid by the Pope in 1990. The Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception was constructed by 1994 and the previous chapel became a community space.
The area is served by three stations on the city's metro line A, namely Strašnická, Skalka and the terminus, Depo Hostivař. Trams in Prague serve the area, specifically services 5, 7, 13 and 26. The district is also home to the Strašnice tram depot, which began operation in 1908 and is the oldest operational tram depot in the city. Bus services also call at stops in Strašnice, with the Depo Hostivař metro station being the terminal for out-of-city services.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Strašnice.|
- "Před 90 lety vznikla Velká Praha. Spolkla Vinohrady, Žižkov i Dejvice". idnes.cz (in Czech). 29 December 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Municipal Prague – Strašnice (P-3), Praha.cz, retrieved 15 November 2013
- Municipal Prague – Strašnice (P-10), Praha.cz, retrieved 15 November 2013
- History of Strašnice parish, Strašnice Parish, translated from Czech, retrieved 16 November 2013
- Hradil, Jakub; Brejška, Václav (2008). 100 let vozovny 100 let vozovny Strašnice Strašnice 8. 10. 1908 – 2008 (in Czech). SPKD.
- "Žel. zast. Praha – Strašnice". Prahamhd.vhd.cz. Retrieved 18 November 2013.