Strange Adventures in Infinite Space
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space (SAIS) is a hybrid space roguelike computer game, and the first of its type. It was created by the independent game development group Digital Eel. In the game players explore a "plausibly implausible" (fictional) region of the Milky Way galaxy called The Purple Void.
SAIS sets itself up differently each time it is played. Stars, black holes, planets, nebulae, artifacts, alien patrols, gadgets, lifeforms and dozens of events and encounters are randomized for each game session. Unlike conventional roguelikes, SAIS features graphics, music and sound, and game sessions typically last from 3 to 20 minutes, hence the game's tagline "Explore the galaxy in 20 minutes or less!"
As of November 11, 2005, the source code is freely available under the GNU GPL, though other game content besides the code is still proprietary. Since September 28, 2009, SAIS itself is available as freeware.
SAIS's sequels, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space (Windows, Mac, tablet; 2005) and Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars (Windows; 2014-2015), feature far more content and options, and is currently available for Windows and Mac.
- "A Perfect Short Game" in Gamasutra, September 15, 2004
- Official Strange Adventures in Infinite Space site
- Infinite Space Games: Official umbrella site for all Digital Eel "Infinite Space" electronic and table games
- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space at MobyGames
- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space page at Paizo Publishing (CD version)
- Astraware (publisher of Pocket PC and Palm OS ports)
|This strategy video game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|