Strange Tales (pulp magazine)
Strange Tales was a pulp magazine which published seven issues between 1931 and 1933. The publisher was Clayton Magazines; the editor was Harry Bates, who also edited Clayton's Astounding Stories. It was intended as a competitor to Weird Tales, the leading weird fiction magazine of the day.  Bates paid up to two cents a word, which was more than Weird Tales could afford, and as a result he obtained some good material, including "Wolves of Darkness" by Jack Williamson, and "Cassius" by Henry S. Whitehead. Strange Tales also carried fiction by Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, Edmond Hamilton, Paul Ernst, Hugh B. Cave, August Derleth and Frank Belknap Long. All the magazine's covers were drawn by "Wesso" (Hans Wessolowski), a regular artist for the Clayton chain.  Strange Tales ceased publication when Clayton went bankrupt in 1933, and although Street & Smith acquired Clayton's titles, they decided not to relaunch this particular one, choosing Astounding instead.
|All seven issues of Strange Tales, showing volume and issue numbers. Harry Bates was
- Ed Hulse, The Blood 'n' Thunder Guide to Collecting Pulps. Murania Press, 2009, ISBN 0-9795955-0-9 (pp. 187-88).
- Robert Weinberg, "Strange Tales", in Tymn & Ashley, Science Fiction, Fantasy and Weird Fiction Magazines, pp. 626–628.
- Ashley, Mike (2000). The Time Machines:The Story of the Science-Fiction Pulp Magazines from the beginning to 1950. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press. ISBN 0-85323-865-0.
- Ashley, Mike (2005). Transformations:The Story of the Science-Fiction Magazines from 1950 to 1970. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press. ISBN 0-85323-779-4.
- Clute, John; Grant, John (1997). The Encyclopedia of Fantasy. New York: St. Martin's Press, Inc. ISBN 0-312-15897-1.
- Clute, John; Nicholls, Peter (1993). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. New York: St. Martin's Press, Inc. ISBN 0-312-09618-6.
- Weinberg, Robert (1985). "Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror". In Tymn, Marshall B.; Ashley, Mike. Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Weird Fiction Magazines. Westport CT: Greenwood Press. pp. 626–628. ISBN 0-313-21221-X.