Stranmillis University College
|Stranmillis University College|
|Motto||Docendo discimus ("we learn by teaching")|
|Principal||Dr. Anne Heaslett|
|Location||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Affiliations||Queen's University Belfast|
Stranmillis University College is a university college of Queen's University Belfast. The institution is located on the Stranmillis Road in Belfast, and has approximately 700 students today and offers the BEd, PGCE and TESOL, as well as other courses.
The college was established in 1922 to provide state-funded teacher training by the then newly created Government of Northern Ireland to ensure that there would be a non-denominational teacher training college within the new country after the partition of Ireland. This status was undermined early in its existence, after a statement by Roman Catholic bishops to the effect that a graduate of the institution would not be allowed to teach in a Catholic school soon ensured that the institution became identified as a Protestant-only institution.
The main building of the college is attributed to Roland Ingleby Smith, Chief architect of the Northern Ireland Ministry of Finance at the time of its construction in 1928-1930. The design, however, may have been partly or even wholly the work of an architect in the Government of Northern Ireland Works Division, T. F. O. Rippingham.
T. F. O. Rippingham is directly credited with the design of other college buildings, especially the Henry Garrett Building (1944).
Association with Queen's University Belfast 
The university college has been associated with Queen's University since 1968 when it became a college of the university and commenced offering the university's degrees. In 1999 this status was upgraded to the current university college status. The university college is financially and organisationally independent of the university.
See also 
- "Table 0a - All students by institution, mode of study, level of study, gender and domicile 2005/06". Higher Education Statistics Agency online statistics. Retrieved 2007-04-04.[dead link]
- "CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, STRANMILLIS ROAD, STRANMILLIS COLLEGE". Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720-1940. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "College Estate in the Context of Permitted Development". Stranmillis University College, ESTATES STRATEGY 2010-2014. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "SMITH, ROLAND INGLEBY". Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720-1940. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "RIPPINGHAM, THOMAS FRANCIS O.". Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720-1940. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, STRANMILLIS ROAD, STRANMILLIS COLLEGE, HENRY GARRETT BUILDING". Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720-1940. Retrieved 2011-01-19.