Strathclyde Business School
|Strathclyde Business School|
|Type||Public Business School|
|Academic staff||ca 200|
|Location||Glasgow, Scotland, UK
AMBA, AACSB & EQUIS
Founded in 1947, the Strathclyde Business School (SBS) is one of four faculties forming the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. Located on Cathedral Street within the John Anderson campus of the University, it offers courses for business education and management development for inexperienced graduates through to senior executives.
SBS has around 200 academic staff and more than 3000 full-time students (undergraduate and postgraduate), with 11 subject departments and specialist units providing more specialist and cross-disciplinary postgraduate courses. It is a top-ranking business school, among only 59 institutions worldwide (i.e. less than 1% of business schools globally) to be granted Triple Accreditation.
- 1 Academic departments
- 2 Recognition
- 3 Times Higher Education Awards
- 4 MBA and Masters FT Ranking
- 5 See also
- 6 Notes
- 7 External links
There are seven academic departments within SBS:
- Accounting and Finance
- Human Resource Management
- Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Strategy and Organisation (Formally the Department of Management)
- Management Science
Each department offers a range of programmes: postgraduate, undergraduate and research. The business school also offers a number of faculty-wide programmes, both research and taught – the Master of Business Administration (MBA), Executive Masters in Hospitality and Tourism Leadership, the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), and Research Methodology in Business & Management.
The business school also has several research units:
- Strathclyde Institute for Operations Management (a joint venture between staff from SBS and the Faculty of Engineering);
- Fraser of Allander Institute (located in the Department of Economics but operating in a cross-disciplinary manner);
- Strathclyde International Business Unit (located in the Department Strategy and Organisation but also working cross-functionally);
- Scottish Employment Research Centre (located in the Department of Human Resource Management)
Strathclyde is a triple accredited business school, one of a small percentage worldwide to be triple accredited, holding accreditation from the international bodies, AMBA, AACSB  and EQUIS.
Strathclyde has a reputation for research excellence. Most recently, in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, Strathclyde Business School was rated joint 7th in the UK for its ‘world leading‘ and ‘internationally excellent’ research.
There are also a number of discipline-specific accreditations held by departments:
- Accounting is fully accredited for entry to the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS) as well as offering exemptions to other professional bodies, e.g. Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- The Department of Accounting and Finance has all four of its MSc programmes accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Strathclyde MSc EMP is the first programme to be formally Recommended by the UK Government Economic Service
- The Department of Marketing is accredited by The Institute of Export, the Market Research Society, the Chartered Institute of Marketing
- CIPD is the professional association for HR professionals in the UK, with a membership of around 150,000. The Department of Human Resource Management is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- The Strathclyde MBA is accredited by the UAE government 
- Two Hospitality and Tourism Management degrees (UG in Department of Management and MSc in Department of Marketing) have been accredited by the Institute of Hospitality
Times Higher Education Awards
University of the Year 2012
In November 2012 the University was shortlisted for 4 categories in the Times Higher Education Awards and won the UK’s University of the Year award. The presentation, made by TV celebrity David Walliams was at a gala ceremony on 29 November at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London.  Judges described the University as a "bold, imaginative and innovative institution" and said the University’s dedication to working with industry took concrete form in the past year, giving a modern slant to its 18th Century founder’s vision of a 'place of useful learning'.
UK Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2013
In the Times Higher Education 2013 Awards, the University won the "UK Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2013" award, making Strathclyde the first Scottish university to hold the title. 
MBA and Masters FT Ranking
European Business School Rankings
- 2009 Ranked 17th in Europe 
- 2010 Ranked 20th in Europe 
- 2011 Ranked 25th in Europe 
- 2012 Ranked 33rd in Europe 
- 2013 Ranked 29th in Europe 
Global MBA Rankings
With the exception of 2012, the Strathclyde Business School's MBA has consistently remained within the top 100 business schools as ranked by the Financial Times Global MBA rankings. In January 2013 they were ranked in the top 25 in Europe and were the only Scottish university to feature. 
- 2008 Ranked 30th in the world
- 2009 Ranked 41st in the world
- 2010 Ranked 51st in the world
- 2011 Ranked 74th in the world 
- 2013 Ranked 87th in the world 
- 2014 Ranked 73rd in the world 
Executive MBA Rankings
- 2013 Ranked 58th in the world 
Other Masters Rankings
The 2013 Financial Times rankings for "Masters in Finance" programmes placed the school’s MSc Finance programme 6th in the UK and 30th position worldwide. 
The 2013 Financial Times rankings for "Masters in Management" programmes placed Strathclyde’s "Masters in Business and Management" (MBM) programme 4th in the UK and 33rd in the world. 
Executive MBA Rankings
Following the publication of The Economist’s 2013 global rankings of Executive MBAs, Strathclyde Business School’s International MBA was ranked in the top 5 UK’s business schools and in the European top 10, placing it 28th out of 62 international business schools. (Up from 54th place in 2012)
- 2012 Ranked 54th in the world
- 2013 Ranked 28th in the world 
Full Time MBA Rankings
Following the publication of The Economist’s 2013 global rankings of Full-Time MBAs, Strathclyde Business School’s Full Time MBA was ranked in the top 10 in Europe and 4th in the UK. (Up from 54th place in 2012)
- 2013 Ranked 40th in the world 
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Strathclyde Faculty of Science
- University of Strathclyde Faculty of Engineering
- "Triple accreditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. 2011-10-15. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Search BSchool MBA programmes". mbaworld. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "AACSB Business and Accounting Accreditation". Aacsb.edu. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "EQUIS Accredited Schools". Efmd.org. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "RAE 2008". Rae.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "ICAS accredited degrees". Icas.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "University of Strathclyde". Cimaglobal.com. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Strathclyde Economics Course comes Highly Recommended - University of Strathclyde". Strath.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Accreditation - University of Strathclyde". Strath.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Qualifications - Qualifications". CIPD. 2011-09-20. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- "بوابة حكومة أبوظبي - الأفراد - هيئة الاعتماد العلمي". Abudhabi.ae. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Institute of Hospitality Accreditation Register: February 2012". Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- WINNERS :: THE Awards 2013
- 2013 Winners :: THE Awards 2013
- "European Business school rankings 2009". FT.com.
- "European Business school rankings 2010". FT.com.
- "European Business school rankings 2011". FT.com.
- "European Business school rankings 2012". FT.com.
- "European Business school rankings 2013". FT.com.
- Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Global MBA Ranking 2013
- "Global MBA Rankings 2011". FT.com. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "Global MBA Rankings 2013".
- "Global MBA Rankings 2014".
- "Global MBA Rankings 2013".
- Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Masters in Finance Pre-experience 2013
- Business school rankings from the Financial Times - Masters in Management 2013
- "The Economist Executive MBA Rankings 2013". 2013-07-18.
- "The Economist Full Time MBA Rankings 2013".