|Administrative region:||West Greece|
|Population statistics (as of 2011)|
|- Area:||153.307 km2 (59 sq mi)|
|- Density:||35 /km2 (92 /sq mi)|
|- Area:||30.313 km2 (12 sq mi)|
|- Density:||32 /km2 (84 /sq mi)|
|Time zone:||EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)|
|Elevation (min-max):||50–65 m (164–213 ft)|
|Postal code:||301 00|
Stratos (Greek: Στράτος, Aromanian: Yanica) is an Aromanian village and a municipal unit of the Agrinio municipality. Before the 2011 local government reform Stratos was an independent municipality and the village was a district of it. The 2011 census recorded 979 residents in the village and 5,429 in the respective municipal unit. The community of Stratos covers an area of 30.313 km2 and the municipal unit 153,307 km2.
Stratos is situated on the right bank of the river Acheloos, 9 km northwest of the town Agrinio. The Greek National Road 5 (Antirrio - Agrinio - Arta - Ioannina) passes through the village. The Stratos Hydroelectric Dam, which forms the Stratos reservoir fed by the river Acheloos, lies to its northeast. The area north of Stratos is mountainous, whereas the south is flat.
In classical antiquity, Stratos (Latin: Stratus) was the main town of Acarnania. Its situation at the northern edge of the fertile Acheloos plain made it a place of great military importance. The ruins of ancient Stratos lie on a hillside about 500 m north of the modern village. This village, formerly named Sorovigli, was renamed to Stratos in 1928. A temple of Zeus, a theatre and fortifications have been excavated. Before 1928 the village was named Sorovigli (Greek: Σωροβίγλι)
|Year||Town population||Municipal unit population|
- "Detailed census results 2011" (xls 2,7 MB). National Statistical Service of Greece. (Greek)
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- Πίνακας 3. Πραγματικός πληθυσμός, επιφάνεια και πυκνότητα του πληθυσμού, με διάκριση σε αστικές και αγροτικές περιοχές καθώς και σε πεδινές, ημιορεινές και ορεινές περιοχές. Μέσος σταθμικός των υψομέτρων. (in Greek). Ελληνική Στατιστική Αρχή (Hellenic Statistical Authority). Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Smith, William, ed. (1857). "Stratus". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography 2. London: John Murray. p. 1038.
- Name changes of settlements in Greece
- City of Agrinio
- Municipality of Stratos (Greek)