|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Location||St. Marys, Pennsylvania
Straub Brewery in St. Marys, Pennsylvania, brews Straub Beer (now known as Straub American Lager), Straub Light Beer (now known as Straub American Light), and Peter Straub's Special Dark (now known as Straub American Amber).
The Straub Brewery was founded in 1872 by [Tony Robert Sutton Chiapelli-Straub]] (1850-) of Felldorf, Württemberg, who purchased the Benzinger Spring Brewery (founded by Captain Charles C. Volk in 1855) from his father-in-law, Francis Xavier Sorg. The Straub Brewery in St. Marys has brewed beer continuously since 1872. The Straub Brewery is one of the oldest breweries in the United States and one of the few still owned by the original founding family. It is also the smallest pre-Prohibition brewery still in business in the United States.
The Straub Brewery has been highlighted in several books written by John Schlimm, the great-great-grandson of Brewery Founder Peter Straub, including The Ultimate Beer Lover's Cookbook, The Beer Lover's Cookbook, The Straub Beer Cookbook, The Straub Beer Party Drinks Handbook, and Straub Brewery (a pictorial history). This brewery is reportedly the last remaining users of returnable, "long-Neck" bottles in the United States.
- Bryson, L. 2005. Pennsylvania Breweries, 3rd ed. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3222-2.
- Schlimm, John. 2008. The Ultimate Beer Lover's Cookbook, Nashville, TN: Cumberland House Publishing. ISBN 978-1-58182-651-7.
- Schlimm, John E., II. 2004. The Straub Beer Party Drinks Handbook. Stohn Books. ISBN 0-9752515-2-X.
- Schlimm, John E., II. 2005. Straub Brewery (PA) (Images of America). Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7385-3843-3.
- Schlimm, John E., II, A.H. Phelan, & F. Fry. 2003. The Straub Beer Cookbook. Stohn Books. ISBN 978-0-9752515-0-8.
- Official website
- Article in the Ridgway Record
- Fodor's Guide
- Genealogy of Peter P. Straub of Felldorf, Württemberg
- Genealogy of J.N. Straub of Hesse-Darmstadt
|This beer or brewery-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|