Strawberry Line (Miniature Railway)
|Locale||Avon Valley Country Park, Keynsham, England|
|Line length||0.75 mi (1.21 km)|
|Track gauge||5 in (127 mm)|
The Strawberry Line is a 0.75-mile (1.21 km) length of 5 in (127 mm) gauge railway inside Avon Valley Country Park (near Keynsham). It is Britain's only commercial ground-level 5 in (127 mm) railway. As a conventional ridable miniature railway it provides train rides for visitors to the park (for an additional fare), but it also runs demonstration freight trains using correctly scaled wagons. Driver experience courses are offered in the winter.
The railway was started at the Avon Valley Country Park in May 1999, with the first trains running on a 150 feet (46 m) demonstration track. A trackbed was roughed out in June and the first services ran on the new 900 feet (270 m) track in August 1999. A 60 feet (18 m) tunnel was added in 2003.
An area is set aside for the coaling and preparation of steam locomotives, including a fire-dropping pit.
The whole railway was resignalled by 2006 with track circuits replacing the treadle-operated signalling system. The signalling recreates the prototypical railway operational scenario, with signals not clearing unless the section ahead, or the intersecting line, is clear.
The line has a growing number of steam-powered locomotives. These currently include:
- 'Britannia' Class 4-6-2
- 0-4-0 shunter
- 0-6-0 (Polly 4)
- LNER A2 Class 4-6-2 (Blue Peter)
- LMS 'Black 5' 4-6-0
- 0-6-0 (Speedy)
- LNER B1 Class 4-6-0 (Puku)
The line also owns several locomotives modelled on diesel prototypes. These are battery-powered.
- 0-4-0 shunter
- Class 08 0-6-0 Shunter
- Class 35 "Hymek"
- Class 40 (x2)
- Class 42 "Warship" (x2 - run as pair)
- Class 45 "Peak"
- Class 47 (x2)
- Class 50 (x2)
- Class 52 "Western" (x2)
- Class 55 "Deltic"
- Class 66 (x2)
- "The Strawberry Line – Avon Valley Country Park". Garden Railways UK. Archived from the original on 18 April 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2011. – embedded video is inactive on archived page
- Ride On Railways
- "Visit to the Strawberry Line Miniature Railway, Avon Valley Country Park, Keynsham, Tuesday 6th July 2010". Weston super Mare Railway Society. Archived from the original on 18 April 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "Strawberry Line Miniature Railway - The Railway". 2010. Archived from the original on 18 April 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "About us". Strawberry Line. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Strawberry Line (Miniature Railway).|