Stree Shakti Puraskar
|Stree Shakti Puraskar|
|Category||Women's activism (individual)|
|Awarded by||Govt. of India|
Stree Shakti Puraskar (Women Power Award) is a series of India's national honours conferred on individual women for their exceptional achievement. The award is given in six categories, by Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India, recognises the spirit of courage of a women in difficult circumstances, who has established this spirit of courage in her personal or professional life. The award also recognises pioneering contribution of an individual in empowering women and raising women's issues.
Instituted in the year 1991, the award is conferred by the President of India on occasion of International Women's Day i.e. 8 March every year at New Delhi. The award carries a cash prize of Rupees Three Lakh (Rs. 300,000) and a citation.
- Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Award: Named after Ahilya Bai Holkar, 18th-century ruler of Malwa kingdom
- Kannagi Award: After Kannagi, a legendary Tamil women
- Mata Jijabai Award: Named after Mata Jijabai, mother of Shivaji, who founded the Maratha Empire in 17th-century
- Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang Award: Named after Rani Gaidinliu, a 20th-century Naga spiritual and political leader
- Rani Lakshmi Bai Award: After Rani Lakshmi Bai, the Queen of Jhansi
- Rani Rudramma Devi Award (for both men & women). Named after Rudrama Devi a 13the century ruler of Deccan Plateau
Manasi Pradhan, Dr. M. Venkaiah, Bina Sheth Lashkari, T. Radha, K. Prashanti, Dr. Vartika Nanda, Dr. Seema Sakhare.
Notes and references
- "Stree Shakti Puraskar". Ministry of Women and Child Development. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Stree Shakti Puruskar 2013: Invitation for Entries". DAVP. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Stree Shakti Award for Nirbhaya". Daily News and Analysis. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "President gives Stree Shakti awards on International Women's Day". Yahoo News India. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Women's Award". Ministry of Women and Child Development. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Laws alone can't come to women's rescue: Pranab". The Hindu. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Worthy women, please stand up". The Telegraph (Calcutta). 14 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.