Street Smart (film)
|Directed by||Jerry Schatzberg|
|Produced by||Yoram Globus
|Written by||David Freeman[disambiguation needed]|
|Music by||Robert Irving III|
|Editing by||Priscilla Nedd|
|Distributed by||Cannon Group|
|Release dates||March 20, 1987|
|Running time||97 min.|
Magazine reporter Jonathan Fisher (Christopher Reeve), in danger of losing his job, promises to write a hard-hitting story on prostitution. When no one on the street will talk to him, he fabricates a story of a pimp that's so well-received it puts his career back on track. But Police and a district attorney think the story is of a real-life pimp who is wanted for murder and start pressuring him to reveal the identity of the subject of his story. Fast Black (Morgan Freeman), the pimp and police suspect, also thinks the story is about himself, and wants to know what Jonathan knows, and who told him. From there a battle of wits and wills ensues between Jonathan and Fast Black, in addition to Jonathan becoming involved with one of the pimp's call girls, Punchy (Kathy Baker).
Background and reviews
- This was a long time pet project of Christopher Reeve, but he was having difficulty getting the film financed. When the Cannon Group acquired the rights to the fourth and final Superman film, Reeve agreed to do the film partly because Cannon promised to give Street Smart the financial backing it needed. The film received excellent reviews but performed poorly at the box office, primarily attributed to Cannon Films' failure to properly market the theatrical release.
- Morgan Freeman was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe (among other honors) for Best Supporting Actor for his role, giving his acting career a major boost.
- "And Now . . . Mighty 'Superman Iv' To The Rescue - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1987-07-27. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Film: Christopher Reeve Stars In 'Street Smart' - New York Times". Nytimes.com. 1987-03-27. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Maslin, Janet (1987-03-27). "Movie Review - Street Smart - FILM: CHRISTOPHER REEVE STARS IN 'STREET SMART' - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Ebert, Roger (2013-09-20). "Street Smart Movie Review & Film Summary (1987)". Roger Ebert. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Movie Review : The Word On The 'Street' Is Smart - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1987-03-20. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Reeve, Christopher (1998), pp 221-224, 228
- Street Smart at the Internet Movie Database
- Street Smart at the TCM Movie Database
- Street Smart at Box Office Mojo
- Street Smart at Rotten Tomatoes