|Città di Striano (Town of Striano)|
|Comune di Striano|
|• Mayor||Aristide Rendina|
|• Total||7.6 km2 (2.9 sq mi)|
|Population (1 March 2010)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Severinus of Noricum|
|Saint day||January 8|
The center was inhabited since pre-Roman times, as evidenced by the discovery of a necropolis dating from the ninth century BC Certainly the current town insists on the necropolis of the village built in the age of iron and in the next period called "Orientalizing", that is, between the ninth and sixth centuries BC The first inhabitants of the village were the Opici who tilled the land and introduced the first and most profitable crops: cereals, vines etc.. These were replaced by the Etruscans, the Samnites and Romans. In Samnite, the fertile land irrigated by Sarno saw the installation of the first country villas, real farms. The great earthquake of 62 and the subsequent eruption of Vesuvius on 24 August 79 AD that buried part of the countryside under a thick layer of lapilli and ash, brought death and desolation, forcing the population to flee, abandoning the fertile lands. Thus began the town over a period of darkness. In the third and fourth century life returned, the rustic villas resumed their activities. These late-imperial villas were equipped with a pars dominica, direct possession of the owner and a pars massaricia assigned to settlers-serfs. The start of a real recovery occurred in 1100, thanks to the work of the Benedictines; macchiosi land were cleared and cultivated the wetlands were made and improved existing crops. The City of Striano was hit in 1707 by the fall of abundant pyroclastic rocks along the towns of Pompeii, Torre del Greek and Boscotrecase. Damage to crops, hundreds injured. On 8 December 1806, the Village Taverna Penta, became independent from Striano, becoming so common Poggiomarino. The municipality did not remain alien or the revolutionary movements of the nineteenth century, even the two world wars. With the advent of the Republic, along with traditional agriculture, developed the craft, trade and small industries.
The name of the municipality there are conflicting opinions: Traditionally it was thought that it came from Istra, wrong place of origin of San Severino, the patron saint of the town. Recently, through studies and research, it was shown that the name derives from exactly the characteristic configuration of the land called strianesi stigati, and how to work them.
Churches, monuments and interesting places
- Protohistoric site near the river in Longola: in October 2000, following the works for the construction of one of the four treatment plants in the Middle-Samos, the light is a real proto field. This is one of the most important discoveries of the last fifty years. Site abitatoper almost a millennium, from the fifteenth century. the sixth century. BC, is an exceptional case within the framework of European prehistory. The settlement is of great interest: the huts were built in the shape of islets obtained following the implementation of canalization of the river Sarno.
Channels, obtained artificially, were used for navigation, as evidenced by the discovery of two canoes 6 meters long. The quantity and quality of the finds suggest the site as an important center of production and exchange of prestige goods Archaeological excavations have been extended to more shots, even for the intervention of the media (who speak of a "proto Venice"), the Archaeological Group "Earthsea 3000", built for the defense and promotion of the site and scholars. around the world, who argued the need for continuation of the same and the relocation of the treatment plant. Among the many finds mention 500,000 pottery, 80,000 faunal remains, hundreds of pieces of wood, more than 600 exhibits of particular importance in bronze, amber, iron, lead, bone and chest of drawers worked.
- San Nicola Gate:it's in Via Palma and is only gate of the town walls surrounding the old country still remained. It dates back to Middle Ages and has an isolated brickwork with Sarno stone and the skirting board in Vesuvius stone.
- Church of St. Giovanni Battista
- Church of St. Severino Abbot
- De Sparano - Pisani Palace
- Sansone Palace
- Perna Palace
- The Platan (spectacular tree)
- Striano: history, traditions and flavours a tour guide.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.