|Type||Main battle tank|
|Place of origin||Germany
|In service||1997-present |
|Used by||Swedish Army|
|Manufacturer||BAE Systems AB|
|Unit cost||US$5.74 million|
|Number built||120 (91 license-produced in Sweden)|
|Weight||62.5 tonnes (61.5 long tons; 68.9 short tons)|
|Length||9.97 m (393 in) (gun forward)|
|Width||3.75 m (148 in)|
|Height||3.0 m (120 in)|
|Armour||3rd generation composite; including high-hardness steel, tungsten and plastic filler with ceramic component.|
|1 x 120 mm Rheinmetall L44 smoothbore gun
|2 x 7.62 mm Ksp m/94
|Engine||MTU MB 873 Ka-501 liquid-cooled V-12 Twin-turbo diesel engine
1,500 PS (1,479 hp, 1,103 kW) at 2,600 rpm
|Power/weight||24.19 PS/t (17.79 kW/t)|
|Transmission||Renk HSWL 354|
|Ground clearance||540 mm|
|Fuel capacity||1,200 liters (317 US gallons; 264 imp. gal)|
|550 km (340 mi) (internal fuel)|
|Speed||68 km/h (42 mph)|
Stridsvagn 122 (Battle Tank 122) is a modified version of the German-built Leopard 2A5, utilizing newer technology such as command, control, and fire control systems, as well as reinforced armor and long-term combat capacity. Externally, the vehicle can be distinguished from the Leopard 2A5 by the French GALIX smoke dispensers, different storage bins, and the thicker crew hatches. The Strv 122B, a variant equipped with modular AMAP composite armour from IBD Deisenroth, provides "360° protection" against threats such as EFPs, RPGs and IEDs. The width of exactly 4 metres (13 ft) has been kept, while the weight increases by only 350 kilograms (770 lb).
The Stridsvagn 122 was designed to fight in Swedish conditions including heavily forested areas as well as urban terrain. It also had to overcome the perceived flaws of the original German tank, and features the following abilities:
- Heavily reinforced armor to protect against man-portable anti-tank weapons.
- An advanced CBRN defense system for protection against chemical, biological and radioactive weapons.
- Wading capability to pass through water up to 1.4 m deep.
- Quick ability to discover, identify and lock on a target with the assistance of a laser rangefinder, infrared sights, and a speed/distance/accuracy calculator for maximum accuracy.
- Ability to lock onto numerous targets at once, enabling the tank to fight numerous enemy vehicles without having to manually re-aim the gun after every shot.
- Active communication for improved cooperation between units.
Production and Service
As of 2013, 120 of these tanks remain in active service. Most of the 160 Leopard 2 A4s (local designation Strv 121) that were originally leased are being returned to Germany. The active tanks are divided between three regiments, namely Skaraborgs regemente, södra skånska regementet, and Norrbottens regemente.
Comparison with other main battle tanks
|Strv 122||M1A2||T-90||Leopard 2A5||Challenger 2|
|Unit cost||US$5.74 million||US$6.21 million||US$4.24 million||US$5.74 million||£4,217,000|
|Weight||62.5 t||62.1 t||47.5 t||59.85 t||62.5 t|
|Length||9.97 m||9.77 m||9.63 m||9.97 m||11.50 m|
|Width||3.75 m||3.7 m||3.78 m||3.75 m||4.2 m|
|Height||3 m||2.4 m||2.22 m||3 m||2.49 m|
|Armour||3rd generation composite||Depleted Uranium composite||Composite/reactive||3rd generation composite||Dorchester Level 2 (classified)|
|Main armament||1x 120 mm L/44 Smoothbore Gun||1x 120 mm L/44 Smoothbore Gun||1x 125 mm L/48 Smoothbore Gun||1x 120 mm L/55 Smoothbore Gun||1x 120 mm L/55 Rifled Gun|
|Main ammunition||42 rounds||42 rounds||42 rounds||42 rounds||52 rounds|
|Secondary armament||2x 7.62mm machine guns||1x 12.7mm heavy machine gun
2x 7.62mm machine guns
|1x 12.7mm heavy machine gun
1x 7.62mm machine gun
|2x 7.62mm machine guns||Coaxial 7.62 mm L94A1 EX-34 (chain gun),
7.62 mm L37A2 Commander's cupola machine gun
|Secondary ammunition||4,750 rounds||900 rounds
|7,000 rounds||4,750 rounds||N/A|
|Engine||1,500 hp||1,500 hp||1,000 hp||1,500 hp||1,200 hp|
|Power/weight||24.00 hp/t||24.15 hp/t||26.31 hp/t||25.06 hp/t||19.2 hp/t|
|Suspension||Torsion-bar suspension||Torsion-bar suspension||Torsion-bar suspension||Torsion-bar suspension||Hydropneumatic|
|Fuel capacity||1,200 l||1,900 l||1,200 l||1,592 l|
|Operational range||550 km||425 km||700 km||550 km||550 km|
|Speed||68 km/h||68 km/h||60 km/h||72 km/h||59 km/h|
- Lindström, Rickard O. and Svantesson, Carl-Gustaf (2009). Svenskt Pansar 90 år av svensk stridsfordonsutveckling, p. 112. Bookwell, Finland. ISBN 978 91 85789 375.
- Swedish Defence Materiel Administration: Leopard 2 - Stridsvagn 122 Facts (Swedish)
- Swedish Defence Materiel Administration: Leopard 2 - Stridsvagn 122 (Swedish)
- "New MBT122B Evolution with Unprecedented Protection" (PDF). IBD Deisenroth Engineering. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Sydsvenskan: Stridsvagnar kör sista varvet" (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 2014-07-18. Retrieved 2014-09-22.