|Date||December 19, 2009|
|Venue||HP Pavilion at San Jose|
|City||San Jose, CA|
Strikeforce: Evolution was a mixed martial arts event to be held by the Strikeforce on December 19, 2009 in San Jose, California at the HP Pavilion at San Jose. The event aired live on Showtime in the US, and live on SuperChannel in Canada.
Robbie Lawler was expected to face Benji Radach on the card, however Radach was not able to get medical clearance to start training in time for the fight. Radach was replaced by Trevor Prangley; however, Prangley suffered a knee injury while training for the bout and had to withdraw from the fight as well. On December 16th, it was announced that Lawler would not be competing on the card as a suitable replacement could not be found on such short notice.
The Bobby Stack vs. David Douglas bout was cancelled. Douglas, who took the fight on a week's notice, reportedly had difficulty with his weight cut and was hospitalized after having issues holding fluids down.
Official fight card
- Smith defeated Le via TKO (punches) at 3:25 of round 3.
- Melendez defeated Thomson via unanimous decision (49–47, 49–46, 49–46) to unify the Strikeforce Lightweight Championship.
- Souza defeated Lindland via submission (arm triangle choke) at 4:18 of round 1.
- Lawal defeated Whitehead via KO (punches) at 3:08 of round 1.
- Britt defeated Lighty via TKO (doctor stoppage) at 5:00 of round 1.
- Wilcox defeated Nakamura via unanimous decision (30–27, 29–28, 30–27).
- Featherweight bout: Alexander Crispim vs. AJ Fonseca
- Crispim defeated Fonseca via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Scott Smith: ($55,000, no win bonus) def. Cung Le: ($150,000)
- Gilbert Melendez: ($55,000, no win bonus) def. Josh Thomson: ($30,000)
- Ronaldo Souza: ($65,000 includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lindland: ($50,000)
- Muhammed Lawal: ($20,000 includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Mike Whitehead: ($30,000) ^
- Antwain Britt: ($10,000 includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Scott Lightly: ($5,000)
- Justin Wilcox: ($5,000, no win bonus) def. Daisuke Nakamura: ($200)
- Alexander Crispim: ($4,000 includes $2,000 win bonus) def. AJ Fonseca: ($2,000)
^ Muhammed Lawal was reportedly fined 10 percent of his purse for splashing a sponsors energy drink around the cage. The CSAC's initial report did not include information on the penalty.
- ""Strikeforce: Evolution" draws 14,749 for $634,000 live gate". MMAjunkie.
- "Strikeforce Evolution". strikeforce.com. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Strikeforce announces deal with Canada's Super Channel, "Evolution" airs Dec. 19". MMAjunkie.
- "Radach Out, Lawler Awaits New Opponent for Dec. 19 Strikeforce". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- "Knee Injury Forces Trevor Prangley to Withdraw from "Strikeforce: Evolution"". fiveouncesofpain.com. Retrieved 2009-12-17.
- John Morgan. "Strikeforce newcomer Bryan Travers forced off Saturday's "Evolution" card". MMAjunkie.
- "Strikeforce 'Evolution' Results & Play-by-Play". Sherdog.
- ""Strikeforce: Evolution" salaries: Cung Le tops fighter pay with $150K, "King Mo" fined". mmajunkie.com. 2009-12-21.