Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal
|Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal|
|Date||December 17, 2011|
|Venue||Valley View Casino Center|
|City||San Diego, California|
The Bowling/Peoples bout was supposed to be fought at Welterweight, however it was changed to a 179-pound catchweight. Peoples still missed weight and the fight went on as a 181-pound catchweight fight with Peoples fined 20 percent of his purse.
The bout between Devin Cole & Gabriel Salinas-Jones was the last heavyweight fight in Strikeforce's full Heavyweight division. Two days after this event was held, Strikeforce announced the end of the division (save for Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament finalists Josh Barnett & Daniel Cormier) due to a lack of depth, and six of the promotion's remaining heavyweight fighters were folded into the UFC shortly afterwards.
Former World Extreme Cagefighting announcer Joe Martinez announced this event in place of Jimmy Lennon Jr., as Lennon was announcing that same night's Showtime-broadcast Super Six World Boxing Classic boxing card headlined by Carl Froch & Andre Ward.
|Lightweight||Gilbert Melendez (c)||def||Jorge Masvidal||unanimous decision (50–45, 50–45, 49–46)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Womens Featherweight||Cristiane Santos (c)||def||Hiroko Yamanaka||TKO (punches)||1||0:16||[b]|
|Light Heavyweight||Gegard Mousasi||def||Ovince St. Preux||unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00||[c]|
|Lightweight||K.J. Noons||def||Billy Evangelista||unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (181 lb)||Roger Bowling||def||Jerron Peoples||KO (punches)||1||0:42|
|Lightweight||Caros Fodor||def||Justin Wilcox||KO (punches)||1||0:13|
|Heavyweight||Devin Cole||def||Gabriel Salinas-Jones||unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Herman Terrado||def||Chris Brown||submission (armbar)||3||4:05|
|Middleweight||Eddie Mendez||def||Fernando Gonzalez||split decision (30–27, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or locker room bonuses.
- Gilbert Melendez: $150,000 (no win bonus) def. Jorge Masvidal: $23,000
- Cristiane Santos: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Hiroko Yamanaka: $8,000
- Gegard Mousasi: $150,000 (no win bonus) def. Ovince St. Preux: $17,000
- KJ Noons: $ 65,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Billy Evangelista: $20,000
- Caros Fodor: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Justin Wilcox $12,000
- Roger Bowling: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Jerron Peoples: $2,000
- Devin Cole: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Gabriel Salinas-Jones: $3,000
- Eddie Mendez: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Fernando Gonzalez: $3,000
- Herman Terrado: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Chris Brown: $3,000
- "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal". Strikeforce.com. 2011-10-11.
- "Dana White: Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez is headed to the UFC, ASAP". mmajunkie.com. 2011-10-01.
- "Keith Jardine: I'm returning to Strikeforce in December, headed to middleweight". mmajunkie.com. 2011-08-29.
- "Luke Rockhold vs. Keith Jardine title fight targeted for Jan. 7 Strikeforce event". mmajunkie.com. 2011-12-02.
- "'Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal' weigh-in results: Title fights are official". mmajunkie.com. 2011-12-16.
- "Strikeforce to Eliminate Heavyweight Division in 2012". mmafighting.com. 2011-12-15.
- "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal Results and Recap". heavy.com. 2011-12-17.
- "CSAC: Strikeforce champ Cris 'Cyborg' Santos tests positive for anabolic steroid". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.