Striking at the Roots
Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism is a non-fiction book by Mark Hawthorne that examines a number of strategies for animal activism in countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States. The book was published by O Books in the UK in 2008 as a 282-page paperback (ISBN 978-1846940910).
More than 100 animal activists -- including Carol J. Adams, Gene Baur, Alka Chandna, Nick Cooney, Karen Davis, Joyce D’Silva, Adam Durand, Lisa Franzetta, Juliet Gellatley, Bruce Friedrich, Pattrice Jones, Erik Marcus, Jack Norris, Glenys Oogjes, Lauren Ornelas, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Nathan Runkle, Paul Shapiro and Kim Sturla -- discuss the models of activism that work best for advancing animal rights and animal welfare.
Hawthorne says he wrote the book because when he first got into animal activism, he couldn’t find a book like it, “one resource that you could easily carry with you” that covers the broad range of activist models. The book is written for people who are already concerned about abuse of animals and need to learn how to take effective action.
The title is derived from Walden, in which Henry David Thoreau writes: "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Thoreau's phrase "striking at the root" may be an allusion to Matthew 3:10 -- "And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."
Hawthorne says he is now working on a book about animal cruelty.
Table of contents
- Foreword by Bruce Friedrich
- Chapter 1 -- Animal Tracts: Leafleting
- Chapter 2 -- Animal Writes: Letters, Opinion Pieces & Articles
- Chapter 3 -- Animal Talk: Tabling
- Chapter 4 -- Animal Attractions: Protests & Demonstrations
- Chapter 5 -- Animal Friendly: Food as Outreach
- Chapter 6 -- Animal Pharm: Corporate Campaigning
- Chapter 7 -- Animal House: Sanctuaries, Shelters & Rescue Centers
- Chapter 8 -- Animal Planet: The Global Reach of Multimedia
- Chapter 9 -- Animal Liberation: Direct Action
- Chapter 10 -- Animal Law: The Legal System
- Chapter 11 -- Animal Care: Activists Are Animals Too
- Appendix A -- Recent Milestones for Animals
- Appendix B -- Eleven Things You Can Do TODAY to Help Animals
- Appendix C -- Know Your Rights
- Appendix D -- Resources
- "COK Talks with Mark Hawthorne". Compassionate Action. Washington, D.C.: Compassion Over Killing. Spring 2008. Archived from the original on 2010-11-25. Retrieved 2010-12-01. "Mark's book examines a variety of advocacy strategies, offers the tools and resources needed to increase effectiveness, and motivates readers to start making a difference for animals today."
- Miller, Sienna. Finding His Religion. Vegan Voice magazine: No 34 June-Aug 2008.
- Julian, Barbara (2008-02-22). "Striking At the Roots: a Great Guide For Animal Advocates". Animal Literature. Archived from the original on 2010-11-21. Retrieved 2010-12-01. "For those already concerned about abuse of factory-farmed, circus, fur industry and laboratory animals, this book provides detailed campaign suggestions."
- Thoreau, Henry David. Walden: A Fully Annotated Edition. Yale University Press. 2004. ISBN 0-300-10466-9.
- Long, Larry R. "The Bible and the Composition of 'Walden' ", an essay in Myerson, Joel, ed. (1979). Studies in the American Renaissance. Farmington Hills, Michigan: Twayne Publishers. pp. 309–353. ISBN 978-0-8057-9011-5.
- Black Velvet, Shari. Interview with Mark Hawthorne. SaveAScream.com: August 2009.
- Striking at the Roots web site
- Author's bio
- Hawthorne, Mark. Animal Tracts -- Changing Lives One Leaflet at a Time Satya, June/July 2007