Swift in 2005.
|Power forward / Center|
November 21, 1979 |
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||Fair Park
|College||Louisiana State (1998–2000)|
|NBA Draft||2000 / Round: 1 / Pick: 2nd overall|
|Selected by the Vancouver Grizzlies|
|Pro playing career||2000–2010|
|2008–2009||New Jersey Nets|
|2009–2010||Shandong Lions (China)|
College and early NBA career (Vancouver Grizzlies)
Swift spent his college career at Louisiana State University, where he led the Tigers to the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament his sophomore year, during the time when the LSU men's basketball program was under probation and had limited scholarships available. Swift was selected second overall in the 2000 NBA Draft by the Vancouver Grizzlies.
He competed in the 2001 Slam Dunk Competition against Baron Davis, DeShawn Stevenson, Corey Maggette, Desmond Mason and Jonathan Bender. Swift placed fourth as Mason, of the Seattle Supersonics, won the competition.
After the 2004–05 season, he left the Grizzlies as a free agent and signed a four-year, $22 million contract with the Houston Rockets. At the time of his departure to Houston for the 2005–06 season, Swift was the last remaining player on the Grizzlies roster to have moved with the team from Vancouver.
Second stint with Grizzlies (Memphis)
New Jersey Nets
On February 4, 2008, Stromile Swift was traded to the New Jersey Nets for Jason Collins and cash considerations. Four days later, Swift played his first minutes with the Nets, scoring his first basket late in the game, on a jumper, against the Charlotte Bobcats. In the game against the Minnesota Timberwolves, on February 12, he scored on an alley-oop dunk from Jason Kidd, in the only game they would see time on the court together in a Nets uniform, as Kidd would be traded to the Dallas Mavericks shortly thereafter.
On March 1, 2009 Swift was waived by the Nets.
On March 4, 2009 the Suns signed Swift for the remainder of the season.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "Houston Rockets Sign Stromile Swift". NBA.com. 2005-08-02. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "Grizzlies Trade Shane Battier to Houston in Exchange for Forward Stromile Swift and Draft Rights to Rudy Gay". NBA.com. 2006-07-12. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "NETS ACQUIRE STROMILE SWIFT". NBA.com. 2008-02-04. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "Nets Waive Stromile Swift". NBA.com. 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "Swift Signs With the Suns". NBA.com. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- Philadelphia 76ers pick up free agents
- Sixers waive Swift, Singletary. Retrieved on October 12, 2009.
- NBA.com profile - Stromile Swift
- LSU Tigers bio
- ClutchFans.net Stromile Swift Profile - Houston Rocket Fan Site
- Yahoo Sports Player Profile