Stu Block performing with Iced Earth in 2012.
|Birth name||Stuart Block|
|Also known as||Stuie B, Stucifer|
|Born||November 26, 1977|
|Genres||Progressive death metal, melodic death metal, heavy metal, power metal, thrash metal, progressive metal, neo-classical metal|
|Associated acts||Into Eternity, Iced Earth|
Stuart "Stu" Block (born November 26, 1977) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, who was the frontman for Canadian progressive death metal band Into Eternity, and is now the lead vocalist for American heavy metal band Iced Earth. Before joining Into Eternity in 2005, Block began his musical career singing for various bands in Vancouver, Canada. After two albums with Into Eternity, Block joined Iced Earth in 2011, with whom he released the album Dystopia the same year.
Early career and Into Eternity
Block began his musical career in 1998, singing for various metal and rock acts around Vancouver. Prior to joining Into Eternity, Block was the singer for the band Omega Crom, among others. In 2005, he joined Into Eternity and the following year, the band released their first album with him, The Scattering of Ashes. Block received high praise for his performance, with Eduardo Rivadavia of Allmusic calling him "one of the finest metal voices of his generation". Block's second album with Into Eternity, The Incurable Tragedy, was released in 2008. In 2011 and 2012, respectively, the band released the singles "Sandstorm" and "Fukushima". Also in late 2012, Block began demoing new material with Into Eternity and their new touring vocalist Amanda Kiernan.
In March 2011, it was announced that Block had been chosen as the new lead singer for Iced Earth. Prior to releasing Block's first album with the group, Iced Earth released a re-recording of their 1995 song "Dante's Inferno" as a free download on their website. Dystopia, Block's first album with Iced Earth, was released on October 18, 2011. The album garnered positive reviews, with some calling it one of Iced Earth's best albums. Block also received praise for his performance. Currently Block is touring with Iced Earth on the Dystopia World Tour. On August 19, 2012, the band recorded a new live CD/DVD in Cyprus.
Block is a self-described "hybrid vocalist", meaning that he utilizes vocal styles from many different genres of metal. Block has listed Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Daniel Heiman, Tim Roth, Matt Barlow, Tim Owens, Devin Townsend, Jari Mäenpää, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, Russell Allen and Jørn Lande as his influences as a singer.
- 2006: The Scattering of Ashes
- 2008: The Incurable Tragedy
- 2011: "Sandstorm" (single)
- 2012: "Fukushima" (single)
- 2011: "Dante's Inferno 2011" (single)
- 2011: 5 Songs (EP)
- 2011: Dystopia
- 2013: The Plagues (EP)
- 2014: Plagues of Babylon
- "Iced Earth: Stu Block". icedearth.com. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Stu Block interviewed by Metal Attack MTL.". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Stu Block interviewed by Metaleater". metaleater.com. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "The Scattering of Ashes - Review". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Incurable Tragedy". Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "'"Sandstorm" single released.'". Intoeternity.net. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- "'"Fukushima" single released.'". Intoeternity.net. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- ""Into Eternity Continues Demoing New Material, Plays Album Fundraising Show"". blabbermouth.net. 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- "Iced Earth Leader Chooses New Vocalist, Announces European Leg Of Massive World Tour | The Official Iced Earth Website". Icedearth.com. March 16, 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Iced Earth re-record "Dante's Inferno" and give it away for free | The Official Iced Earth Website". Icedearth.com. 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Iced Earth reveal cover art and release dates.". Icedearth.com. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Dystopia review.". Imperiumi.net. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Dystopia review.". Hallowed.se. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Dystopia review.". Metal Army America. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Dystopia review.". Ultimate Guitar. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Iced Earth announces Indian tour dates, a live DVD and new bass player.". icedearth.net. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Stu Block interviewed by "Heavy Metal Thunder."". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Stu Block's Facebook Page