Stuart J. Youngner
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
Stuart J. Youngner is Susan E. Watson Professor of Bioethics, Professor of Psychiatry, Professor of Medicine, and Chair of the Department of Bioethics at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
He received his BA from Swarthmore. and his MD from Case, where he also did an internship in pediatrics and a residency in psychiatry. Youngner subsequently studied bioethics at the Kennedy Institute of Ethics at Georgetown University. He is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
He has served as a consultant to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Office of Technology Assessment of the U.S. Congress, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the U. S. Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. He was co-director of the national task force on Standards in ethics evaluation. He has been a Visiting Professor at the Free University of Amsterdam and the University of Salamanca
He is the editor or coeditor of eight books; his latest book, Transplanting Human Tissue: Ethics, Policy and Practice, was published by Oxford University Press in September, 2003. He has written over 90 peer reviewed journal articles..
- Fellow of the Hastings Center
- Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association
- President of the Society for Bioethics Consultation, 1994–1997
- founding member of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Distinguished Service Award, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. 2000
- Chair of the Ethics Committee of the Musculoskeletal Foundation.
- President, Society for Health and Human Values 1994-97
- Transplanting Human Tissue: Ethics, Policy and Practice, Oxford University Press, 2003. ISBN 978-0-19-516284-4
- Review, by Mark A. Rothstein 2006. The American Journal of Bioethics 6(3):76 review
- The Definition of Death: Contemporary Controversies (Johns Hopkins University Press).
- Ethics Consultation: From Theory to Practice with Mark P. Aulisio, Robert M. Arnold 2003
- The Definition of Death: Contemporary Controversies ed., with Robert M. Arnold, and Renie Schapiro, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1999. ISBN 978-0-8018-5985-4
- End-Of-Life Decisions: A Psychological Perspective ed. with Maurice Steinberg and), Stuart J. Younger. American Psychiatric Pub Group, `1998. ISBN 978-0-88048-756-6
- Review, by Terry Rabinowitz, Psychosomatics 40:3, May–June 1999 full text
- Organ Transplantation: Meanings and Realities ed., with Renée C. Fox, and Laurence J. O'Connell University of Wisconsin Press, 1996. ISBN 0-299-14964-1