Stuart Lancaster (rugby union)
|Date of birth||9 October 1969|
|Place of birth||Penrith, Cumbria, England|
|School||St. Bees School|
|Rugby union career|
|Years||Club / team|
|Leeds Carnegie (Director of Rugby)
England (Elite Rugby Director)
|Rugby union career|
Stuart Lancaster started his rugby playing career at St. Bees School playing for the 1st XV. Lancaster ran the Leeds/RFU Academy for five years from 2001 after playing under former boss Phil Davies before retiring in 2000. He became the Elite Rugby Director at Leeds Carnegie in 2006. A former back rower, Lancaster was the first ever player to play more than 100 games for Davies' Leeds before taking up a full time role developing the young players at the club. He began playing for Leeds following the merge of Headingley and Roundhay, having previously played for Headingley. He also played for Wakefield Rugby Football Club and represented Scotland at U19 and U21 level and Scotland Students. Lancaster used to be a PE teacher at Kettlethorpe High School.
Appointment to the England RFU
Rob Andrew, the RFU's Elite Rugby Director announced Lancaster's appointment on 6 May 2008 stating "This is a very important appointment for the department. Stuart brings Guinness Premiership coaching experience and is also one of the coaches who has achieved the Elite Coaching Level 5 qualification." The move was taken poorly by the owners of Leeds Carnegie the club from which he was Director of Rugby before joing the RFU, who felt they should have been contacted regarding the appointment.
On 29 March 2012, Lancaster was appointed as the England head coach by the Rugby Football Union. Previously Lancaster was appointed as the head coach on a short term basis assisted by existing forwards coach Graham Rowntree and Andy Farrell. On the day of his appointment Lancaster said "The challenge now is to take this squad and the players we will see emerge forward to 2015, It is one that I can't wait to get stuck into". 
Matches as Manager
England coaching record
- By Country
|Opponent||Played||Won||Drew||Lost||Win ratio (%)|
- Calcutta Cup
- Winners: 2012, 2013, 2014
- Cook Cup
- Winners: 2013
- Runners-up: 2012
- Hillary Shield
- Winners: 2012
- Runners-up: 2013
- Millennium Trophy
- Winners: 2012, 2013
- "Tykes appoint Lancaster as boss". BBC Sport. 10 May 2006. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "RFU appoint Lancaster to coaching team". leedscarnegie.com. 6 May 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2011.[dead link]
- "RFU land Leeds' Stuart Lancaster". The Telegraph. 6 May 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Stuart Lancaster to be appointed England's head coach by RFU". Guardian. 29 March 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "Stuart Lancaster to take England reins for Six Nations". BBC Sport. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- "Lancaster England appointment confirmed by RFU". RTE Sport. 29 March 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2012.