|Also known as||Cottonbelly|
18 August 1960 |
Hull, North Yorkshire, England
|Genres||Downtempo, chillout, dub, acid jazz, space age pop|
|Occupations||Songwriter, composer, arranger, record producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, saxophone, keyboards, midi programming|
|Associated acts||Sade, Sweetback|
|Doepfer Polyphonic modular system|
In 1982, Matthewman relocated to London. Joining Latin funk band Pride, he met singer-songwriter Sade Adu and they began writing songs together. Teaming with bandmate Paul S. Denman and keyboardist Andrew Hale, they formed the band Sade. Sade signed with Epic Records U.K. division in 1984. Matthewman can be heard on saxophone, guitar, keyboards, and programming. He has appeared on all of Sade's albums: Diamond Life, Promise, Stronger Than Pride, Love Deluxe, and Best of Sade, all of which went triple platinum in the U.S. and have totaled sales over 40 million albums worldwide.
In 1996 Matthewman along with Andrew Hale and Paul Spencer Denman formed the studio band Sweetback. The band features instrumental songs and songs with guest vocalists. They have released two albums, Sweetback (1996) and Stage 2 (2004).
Stuart Matthewman is married to Michele Matthewman. They live together in the Chelsea district of Manhattan. They have a son, Clay. Matthewman is an avid cyclist. Matthewman has a small studio on 29th Street in Manhattan in New York City
- "Cottonbelly Biography". 16 February 2012. Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- "Stuart Matthewman Producer Engineer Mixer Songwriter Musician". Erik Eger Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- helen folaSADE adu – band
- Stuart Matthewman at the Internet Movie Database
- Radaris – Stuart Matthewman
- USA Cycling Race Results for Stuart Matthewman
- Bass – It completely changed my life