|Sir Stuart Peach|
Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach c.2012
|Service/branch||Royal Air Force|
|Years of service||1977 –|
|Rank||Air Chief Marshal|
|Commands held||Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff
Joint Forces Command
Chief of Joint Operations
Chief of Defence Intelligence
Air Warfare Centre
NATO Air Commander (Forward), Kosovo
IX (Bomber) Squadron
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air
Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart William Peach KCB, CBE, DL (born 1956) is a senior Royal Air Force officer. He was appointed the first Commander of Joint Forces Command in December 2011, having previously served as Chief of Joint Operations and prior to that as Chief of Defence Intelligence. He was appointed Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff on 10 May 2013.
Education and personal
Peach was educated at Aldridge Grammar School  and subsequently graduated from the University of Sheffield with a degree in Geography, Economics and Social History. In addition to an MPhil from Cambridge he has an honorary DTech degree from the University of Kingston.
Peach is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and President of the RAF Rugby League.
Peach is married with two children.
Peach was gazetted as a University Cadet in 1974, being commissioned on graduation in 1977 as a pilot officer, and promoted to flying officer and flight lieutenant the following year. A navigator, Peach served one tour on the English Electric Canberra in the photographic reconnaissance role and then three tours on the ground attack and reconnaissance variant of the Panavia Tornado in both the UK and Germany, being promoted to squadron leader in 1986, becoming a Qualified Weapons Instructor and receiving the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air in the 1990 Birthday Honours List.
After Staff College in 1990 he returned to Germany to serve as Personal Staff Officer to, in turn, Deputy Commander RAF Germany, Commander-in-Chief RAF Germany and Commander Second Allied Tactical Air Force (of which RAF Germany formed a part), being promoted to wing commander in 1991. From 1994 to 1996 Peach commanded IX (Bomber) Squadron operating in the Strike, Attack and SEAD role, also acting as Deputy Station Commander RAF Bruggen.
Following promotion to group captain in 1996 and obtaining a Master of Philosophy degree at the University of Cambridge, Peach became Director Defence Studies (Royal Air Force) in 1997, commissioning scholarship, editing books and writing articles on air power. In 1999 he was appointed Assistant Director of the Higher Command and Staff Course at the Joint Services Command and Staff College (having previously graduated from that course).
Peach served as Commander British Forces Italy from 1999 to 2000 and NATO Air Commander (Forward) in Kosovo in 2000, as a result of which he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. He was then appointed Commandant of the Air Warfare Centre and Assistant Chief of Staff Intelligence at RAF Strike Command, being promoted to Air Commodore in January 2001.
Promoted to air vice marshal in 2003, Peach served as Director General Intelligence Collection from July 2003 to March 2006. He was promoted to air marshal in 2006, and appointed Chief of Defence Intelligence, becoming Chief of Joint Operations in March 2009, having been knighted in that year's New Year Honours List.
Honours and awards
|Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)||2009 New Year Honours|
|Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)||5 April 2001|
|Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air||1990 Birthday Honours|
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach KCB CBE ADC BA MPhil DTech DLitt FRAeS RAF
- Official Biography
- Cambridge Conference 2007, Biography: Chief of Defence Intelligence
- The London Gazette: . 16 Dec 1974. Retrieved 18 Feb 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 17 Oct 1977. Retrieved 19 Feb 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 16 Jan 1978. Retrieved 19 Feb 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 23 Oct 1978. Retrieved 19 Feb 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 30 Jun 1986. Retrieved 19 Feb 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 15 Jun 1990. Retrieved 19 Feb 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 1 Jul 1991. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 1 July 1996. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 6 Apr 2001. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- gulabin.com RAF Appointments p58 (Sep 2011) retrieved 3 Mar 2012
- The London Gazette: . 2 Jan 2001. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 5 Aug 2003. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 21 Mar 2006. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- gulabin.com Tri-Service Appointments p7 (Sep 2011) retrieved 3 Mar 2012
- RAF Air Rank Appointments List 04/08 retrieved 9 Jun 2008
- The London Gazette: . 31 Dec 2008. Retrieved 3 Mar 2012.
- RAF Air Rank Appointments List 07/11 retrieved 1 Dec 2011
- "New senior military officers appointed". Inside Government. 24 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
Media related to Stuart Peach at Wikimedia Commons
Air Commodore R J Horwood
|Commandant Air Warfare Centre
Air Commodore Chris Nickols
Major General Michael Laurie
|Director General Intelligence Collection
Major General John Rose
Lieutenant General Andrew Ridgway
|Chief of Defence Intelligence
Air Marshal Chris Nickols
Lieutenant General Nick Houghton
|Chief of Joint Operations
Lieutenant General David Capewell
|New title||Commander, Joint Forces Command
General Sir Richard Barrons
General Sir Nick Houghton
|Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff