Student of the Year
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion and spelling. (November 2012)|
|Student of the Year|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Karan Johar|
|Produced by||Hiroo Yash Johar
|Screenplay by||Rensil D'Silva|
|Editing by||Deepa Bhatia|
Red Chillies Entertainment
|Distributed by||Dharma Productions (India)
Eros Entertainment (International)
|Running time||146 minutes|
|Budget||30 crore (US$4.6 million)|
|Box office||63 crore (US$9.6 million)
(domestic nett. gross)
Student of the Year is a 2012 Indian coming-of-age romantic comedy film directed by Karan Johar and produced by Hiroo Yash Johar under the banner of Dharma Productions and Gauri Khan in collaboration with Red Chillies Entertainment. The movie features newcomers Siddharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan in the lead roles with Rishi Kapoor, Sana Saeed, Ronit Roy, Ram Kapoor and Farida Jalal in supporting roles. The movie also features Boman Irani, Kajol, Farah Khan and Vaibhavi Merchant in guest appearances.
Student of the Year was released on 19 October 2012 in over 1400 locations across India. It was a critical and commercial success and gained positive to mixed reviews from critics and good box office collections. Boxofficeindia.com declared it a hit after its three-week run. The movie remained the second highest grossing Bollywood film in the month of October and is one of the highest grossing Bollywood films of 2012.
Dean of St. Teresa College, Yogindra Vashist (Rishi Kapoor) is in the hospital. Kaizaad "Sudo" Sodabottleopenerwala (Kayoze Irani), Tanya Israni (Sana Saeed), Jeet Khurana (Sahil Anand) and Shruti Pathak (Mansi Rachh) reminisce about their years in St. Teresa College and the events that led up to the present day.
In a flashback, Rohan Nanda (Varun Dhawan), the son of a business tycoon, Ashok Nanda (Ram Kapoor), grapples with a complex relationship with his father and knows that winning the Student of the Year trophy will bag him the approval that he subconsciously craves for. Shanaya Singhania (Alia Bhatt) is the popular yet arrorgant girl whom every guy in the college wants to be with. Abhimanyu "Abhi" Singh (Sidharth Malhotra), who comes from a middle-class family, is there on a scholarship, and wants to achieve great heights of success and prosperity; the first step to which will be the Student of the Year trophy. When the two male protagonists, Rohan and Abhi, with distinct backgrounds and clear goals, clash with each other in the locker room, football field and the canteen, there is no question in anyone's mind that the preset equations of the St. Teresa's campus are about to change.
When Abhi and Rohan’s rivalry takes an unexpected turn to friendship, neither pre-empts the complications that would brew. When introduced to Rohan's father, Abhi admits that he wanted to be like him, which prompts Ashok to say that Abhi is more like a son to him, and that he doesn't approve of what Rohan does. Things are further knotted up when Shanaya enters the equation. While Shanaya and Rohan are childhood sweethearts, Abhi is attracted to Shanaya at first, but when confronted by Rohan, dismisses her as 'not his type'. Tanya, continues to try and weaken the relationship of Shanaya and Rohan, by flirting unabashedly with Rohan who enjoys her attention, causing Shanaya to feel upset time and time again. She seeks the help of Abhimanyu, who helps her make Rohan realise what he's missing out on by making him jealous during his elder brother's wedding in Thailand. As Shanaya flirts with Abhimanyu to try and reclaim Rohan's attention, which she eventually does, Abhimanyu falls in love with Shanaya. Looming large over the various friendships in the campus is the Student of the Year trophy and the Dean's emphasis on success and victory, which they face upon returning to school from the wedding.
Abhi gradually moves away from Shanaya after she finds out that he likes her, and despite her attempts to reconnect with him, he doesn't respond. After Rohan, Abhi and Shanaya are selected for the competition, Abhi and Shanaya's team win the first segment of the competition. To celebrate Abhi's victory Rohan invites himself to Abhi's uncle's house, where Abhi's grandma has a sudden cardiac arrest. The next day, Shanaya turns up with flowers to see Abhi's grandma which then becomes a routine that brings her closer to Abhi. After Abhi's grandma dies, he turns reclusive and tries to avoid everyone including Shanaya, but a sudden moment of spark leads to them kissing only to be caught by Rohan. A fight between Rohan and Abhi ensues, in which both of them get severely hurt. Beat up, Rohan arrives home, where his father Ashok argues with him about his actions, which prompts Rohan to say that he doesn't want to be his son any more and walks out. The foes-turned-friends-turned foes, Abhi and Rohan, are ready for a face-off and battle lines are drawn through the length and breadth of the campus, with only one goal in everyone’s eyes - the Student of the Year trophy. During the second segment of the competition, Rohan realises that Shanaya does love Abhi, but can't show it because of the tension between the three. In the final segment, Rohan wins, with Abhi coming in as a very close second. At the award ceremony, Dean gives the award to Rohan, but he doesn't accept it. A drunk Sudo insults Dean for creating an award which created rifts among friends.
Ten years later, when Abhi and Rohan meet, it is revealed that Shanaya married Abhi, who is now a business tycoon like Rohan's father and Rohan has fulfilled his dream of becoming a musician. It is also revealed that Rohan did not accept the award because he knew that Abhi lost on purpose. Abhi explains his actions by telling Rohan that he saw his father enjoying Rohan lose, after which he decided to slow down to teach Rohan's father a lesson. Another argument sparks another fight between Rohan and Abhi, which then ends in them making up. In the end, it is shown Abhi and Rohan racing together in a stadium, showing that nothing can break their friendship forever.
- Alia Bhatt as Shanaya Singhania
- Sidharth Malhotra as Abhimanyu Singh
- Varun Dhawan as Rohan Nanda
- Sana Saeed as Tanya Israni
- Sahil Anand as Jeet Khuraana
- Kayoze Irani as Kaizad "Sudo" Sodabottleopenerwala
- Manasi Rachh as Shruti Pathak
- Ronit Roy as Coach Shah
- Ram Kapoor as Ashok Nanda
- Gautami Kapoor as Gayatri Nanda
- Farida Jalal as Abhimanyu's grandmother (Extended Cameo)
- Akshay Anand as Abhimanyu's uncle (Extended Cameo)
- Manini Mishra as Geetha Singh (Abhimanyu's aunt) (Extended Cameo)
- Prachi Shah as Coach Shah's wife (Extended Cameo)
- Nandini Sen as Shanaya's mother (Extended Cameo)
- Sushma Seth as Yoginder's mother (Cameo)
- Boman Irani as Harkishan Sanan (Guest appearance)
- Kajol in a guest appearance in 'The Disco Song'
- Farah Khan in a guest appearance as a judge in 'The Disco Song'
- Vaibhavi Merchant in a guest appearance as a judge in 'The Disco Song'
On 5 January 2011, Karan Johar uploaded the first look poster of the new film on the micro-blogging website Twitter. Student of the Year marks the debuts of Alia Bhatt, the daughter of filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, the son of director David Dhawan, Sidharth Malhotra, Boman Irani's son Kayoze Irani and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai fame Sana Saeed (role of "Anjali" as the daughter of Shah Rukh Khan and Rani Mukerji).
The first official trailer was released on 2 August 2012. Karan Johar later tweeted saying that the film will be released on 19 October 2012.
On 16 August 2011, director Karan Johar took the Mahurat shot, and famous Mumbai socialite Parmeshwar Godrej rolled the cameras. Some parts of the movie were shot in Kashmir and Dehradun (Forest Research Institute, Dehradun). The external view of the school was taken from Kasiga School, Dehradun whose name was changed to St. Teresa. Rob Miller of ReelSports, who had worked with Shahrukh Khan on Chak De India, was hired to direct the sports action in Student of the Year.
The film targeted viewers with contest-based marketing. Stressing 'competition' which would make up for a significant part of the movie, contests such as 'Nano Student of the Year', 'The Buddy of the Year' and 'FedEx International Student of the Year' were launched targeting students across the country.
Tata Motors, on-ground promotion partner for the movie, launched the 'Nano Student of the Year' contest for all college students in India. In the first round, students were judged on four parameters namely academics, culture, sports and social life. The top eight finalists would compete for the 'Nano Student of the Year' title. The contest has been running across India since mid-September 2012.
The production house recently tied up with FedEx Express announcing a special 'FedEx Student Offer' and launch of 'FedEx International Student of the Year' campaign. It was aimed at individuals in India applying for higher education abroad. Student of the Year was promoted across non-fiction properties such as Kaun Banega Crorepati on Sony Entertainment Television and Jhalak Dikhla Jaa and Bigg Boss on Colors. Radio stations such as Red FM, Radio City, Big FM were been used for the promotion of the film and its music.
|Territories and ancillary revenues||Price|
|Satellite rights with a TV channel||50 crore (US$7.7 million)|
|Overseas rights||12 crore (US$1.8 million)|
|Music rights||7 crore (US$1.1 million)|
|Other rights||5 crore (US$770,000)|
|Total||74 crore (US$11 million)|
- The figures don't include the Print and Advertising (P&A) costs.
The satellite rights of Student of the Year were sold with Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani for a huge 50 crore (US$7.7 million) together to Sony Entertainment Television. The music rights were sold to Sony Music for a sum of 7 crore (US$1.1 million).
|Student of the Year|
|Soundtrack album by Vishal-Shekhar|
|Released||31 August 2012|
|1.||"The Disco Song"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Benny Dayal, Sunidhi Chauhan, Nazia Hassan||5:42|
|2.||"Ishq Wala Love"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shekhar Ravjiani, Salim Merchant, Neeti Mohan||4:18|
|3.||"Radha"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shreya Ghoshal, Udit Narayan, Vishal Dadlani & Shekhar Ravjiani||5:41|
|4.||"Ratta Maar"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Vishal Dadlani, Shefali Alvares||3:30|
|5.||"Kukkad"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shahid Mallya, Nisha Mascarenhas||4:22|
|6.||"Vele"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shekhar Ravjiani, Vishal Dadlani||3:50|
|7.||"Mashup of the Year"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Various artists, DJ Kiran Kamath||3:02|
The music album of Student of the Year received positive critical response.Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama gave the album 4/5 stars, saying that "Student of the Year is a winner all the way with Vishal Shekhar (yet again) justifying their stance of doing a few films but lending quality sound to it. They create the kind of score which totally compliments the mood of the campus setting without straying even once." IANS of CNN-IBN gave the album 4/5 stars, concluding that "The soundtrack of Student of the Year is a good mix with very minor flaws that can surely be ignored to enjoy the music that perfectly describes the mood of the movie." Satyajit of Yahoo! gave the album 3.5/5 stars, stating that "Student of the Year is complete youthful musical entertainment, an album that brings all the positive elements of a typical Karan Johar entertainer. Vishal Shekhar delivers a potential winner this time."
Upon release,Student of the Year received positive to mixed reviews from critics. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave 4/5 stars, saying that "Student of the Year is a love story that traverses the trodden path. But KJo is an artisan with intellect and taste and he ensures that the script is spruced up and modernized with such elan that it doesn't offend the spectator's wisdom or intelligence. The accomplished director takes on familiar material and gives it an entirely new twirl. This is escapist cinema at its best! On the whole, Student of the Year is amongst Karan Johar's most accomplished works. The youth brigade would love it and those who have already past that age would want to revisit those days. This one's entertainment, entertainment and entertainment at its best. Clearly, KJo has a winner on hands, yet again!" Komal Nahta also gave it 4/5 calling it a supremely entertaining movie. Raedita Tandon of Filmfare gave it a 4/5 stars stating "All in all, Karan’s SOTY world is surreal and spectacular yet it has moments that will bring you back to reality and warm the cockles of your heart. This is escapism at its best." Joginder Tuteja of Indiaglitz gave the movie 4/5 stars and commented,"With a fun outing like Student of the Year, Karan Johar has proved once again that he can fluctuate between making a relatively serious film like 'My Name Is Khan' and come back to candy floss youth entertainer in the mode of 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai'.With an eye on some lavish entertainment translating on screen and bringing new talent to the industry, 'Student of the Year' is a winner." Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India gave the film 3.5/5 stars, stating that "Student of the Year takes you back to your books and sinks you in true-blue Bollywood syllabus, following the 'formula' - Two boys, one girl, one glorious trophy and lots of testosterone. It is larger-than-life, colourful, lavish, beautifully shot and directed. With medleys, dance, drama and everything good-looking (from cast to couches, dorms to discos)." Indicine gave it 3.5/5 stars, commenting "Overall, there isn’t a dull moment in Student of the Year. It has something in it for everyone – romance, action, entertainment, good performances and catchy music." Go for it.' Social Movie rating site MOZVO gave it a score of 3.7/5 putting it in the recommended category.
Rajeev Masand of IBNLive gave it 3 out of 5 stars and wrote, "Nitpickings aside, this is a breezy, enjoyable film by a director who knows his craft." He remarked, "If fun is what you’re seeking, you won't be disappointed." Giving the film 3 out of 5 stars, Anupama Chopra of Hindustan Times wrote, "Karan Johar's forte is excess. He creates fantastical worlds brimming with beautiful people and expensive things and yet anchors them in high emotion. His films work as both designer porn and soap opera." She also praised the performance of the cast. Sukanya Verma of Rediff gave 3/5 stars, commenting that "Student of the Year is no Kuch Kuch Hota Hai but Karan Johar makes it look good." Rubina A Khan of The First Post gave the film 3/5 stars, stating that "Student of the Year is not KJo's finest work. Sure, it’s got all the elements of finesse and expansive production values that his films are known for, but he has also been very pivotal in directing and producing films with engaging stories in the past." Nabanita of Oneindia gave it 3/5 commenting 'Student of the Year is a youthful and interesting movie that deserves a thumps up. Three cheers for this.' Box Office Capsule gave it a rating of 3/5 while commenting 'Watch it as fresh romantic film with loads of fun and entertainment'. India Today also gave the film a rating of 3/5. Sify awarded it 3/5 stars saying 'So there you have it - a fun, frothy film that won't insult your intelligence and sensibility. Worth a watch!'
Roshni Devi of Koimoi gave it 2.5/5 stars, praising the performances. Kanika Sikka of DNA India gave 2.5/5 stars, concluding that "Student of the Year is not something you would want to miss if the surreal setting with bubble gum romance is your calling. The performances make this film a great watch." Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave the film 2.5/5 stars, commenting that "Student of the Year definitely isn't the film of the year. But if you like your entertainment to be served up with glitzy but pulpy garnishing, pirouette your way to the nearest screen by all means." Ananya Bhattacharya of Zee News gave the film 2/5 stars, saying that "Student of the Year is worth a watch only for the debutantes. They have really pulled off a tough task of playing praiseworthy roles in a film which suffers from the lack-of-a-story syndrome."
Critics were apprehensive of the success of the film as several hyped movies have flopped over the years. Also, the movie had a very high price tag and newcmers starred in the movie. However, the film took a thunderous start at the box office, becoming the biggest non starcast opener ever in Bollywood. The movie surpassed trade expectations and caused profit to both makers and distributors in the first week itself. It remained the highest grossing non starcast film in Bollywood until its' record was broken by Aashiqui 2.
|India||71 crore (US$11 million)|
|14.50 crore (US$2.2 million)|
|Entertainment Tax||22.50 crore (US$3.4 million) (estimated)|
|Worldwide||108 crore (US$17 million)|
Student of the Year had a good opening at multiplexes while little lower at single screens due to limited release where it had collected 7.48 crore (US$1.1 million) on its opening day. The film showed good growth on its second day and collected 8.50 crore (US$1.3 million) nett. Student of the Year collected a good figure of around 25.25 crore (US$3.9 million) at the end of its first weekend. It did very well and collected 43.07 crore (US$6.6 million) nett in its first week. The film had a moderate second weekend where it earned around 8 crore (US$1.2 million) nett. Student of the Year had a drop in its second and third week where it had collected 14 crore (US$2.1 million) and 3.25 crore (US$500,000) respectively to make a total of 63.25 crore (US$9.7 million) in three weeks.
Student of the Year released in 300 screens and collected million, which was termed "average" as Dharma Productions is considered one of the big brands of Hindi cinema. It collected around $1.85 million in ten days. The film fell in the second week in most markets. Student of the Year closed on around $2.25 million in overseas markets, at the end of theatrical run and was decalred "above average".
Awards and nominations
Student of the Year emerged as one of the most awarded movies of 2012, winning sevral awards for the direction, performances, music and popularity.
|8th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Award||President's Honour||Karan Johar||Won|
|Best Actor in a Comic Role||Rishi Kapoor||Nominated|
|Best Female Debut||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Best Male Debut||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Best Male Debut||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Best Choreographer||Farah Khan (for the song "Radha")||Nominated|
|Best Female Playback Singer||Neeti Mohan (for the song "Ishq Wala Love")||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Director||Karan Johar||Nominated|
|Most Entertaining Romantic Film||Student of the Year||Nominated|
|Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|BIG Star Most Entertaining (Film) Debut- Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|BIG Star Most Entertaining (Film) Debut- Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|BIG Star Most Entertaining Song||Radha||Nominated|
|Bollywood Hungama Surfers' Choice Movie Awards||Best Debutant – Female||Alia Bhatt||Nor !Runner-up|
|Best Debutant – Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Best Debutant – Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|58th Filmfare Awards||Best Music Director||Vishal-Shekhar||Nominated|
|Best Debutant – Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Best Debutant – Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Best Debutant – Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|RD Burman Award||Neeti Mohan (for the song "Ishq Wala Love")||Won|
|Lions Gold Awards||Favourite Debut-Male||Varun Dhawan||Won|
|Favourite Debut-Female||Alia Bhatt||Won|
|Mirchi Music Awards||Album of the Year||Student of the Year||Nominated|
|Listener's Choice Album of the Year||Student of the Year||Won|
|Listener's choice Song of the Year||Radha||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Dream Director||Karan Johar||Won|
|Film of The Year||Student of the Year||Nominated|
|Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Best Male Debut||Sidharth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan||Won|
|New Musical Sensation Singer – Female||Neeti Mohan (for the song "Ishq Wala Love")||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Best Debut Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Best Debut Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Best Music Director||Vishal-Shekhar||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Debut Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Best Debut Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Best Debut Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Best Music Director||Vishal-Shekhar||Nominated|
|Best Playback Singer- Female||Shreya Ghoshal (Radha)||Nominated|
|Best Playback Singer- Female||Sunidhi Chauhan (The Disco Song)||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Radha||Won|
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Male||Rishi Kapoor||Nominated|
|ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Most Profitable Debut Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Nominated|
|Most Profitable Debut Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Most Successful Banner||Dharma Productions||Nominated|
|Koimoi Annual Polls 2012||Most Promising Newcomer||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Most Promising Newcomer||Sidharth Malhotra||Ranked #2|
|Most Promising Newcomer||Varun Dhawan||Ranked #3|
|Best Music||Student of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Fashion Diva 2012||Alia Bhatt||Ranked #3|
|Best Marketing Poster 2012||Student of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Dance Number 2012||The Disco Song||Nominated|
|South Africa India Film And Television Awards||Most Promising Newcomer- Female||Alia Bhatt||Nominated|
|Most Promising Newcomer- Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Won|
|Most Promising Newcomer- Male||Varun Dhawan||Nominated|
|Film of the Year||Student of the Year||Nominated|
|Most Popular Song||Radha||Nominated|
|Supporting Actor of the Year||Rishi Kapoor||Nominated|
|The Times of India Hotlist 2012||Most Promising Newcomer- Female||Alia Bhatt||Ranked #1|
|Most Promising Newcomer- Male||Sidharth Malhotra||Ranked #3|
|Most Promising Newcomer- Male||Varun Dhawan||Ranked #1|
|Best Romantic Song||Ishq Wala Love||Ranked #4|
|Youth Film of the Year||Student of the Year||Ranked #1|
|Best Actor in a Comic Role||Rishi Kapoor||Results Awaited|
|Funniest Scene||Rishi Kapoor with Students||Results Awaited|
|Best Kiss||Sidharth- Alia||Results Awaited|
|Supernova 50- 2012||Karan Johar||Results Awaited|
|Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards India||Best Song||The Disco Song||Nominated|
|Film Of The Year||Student of the Year||Nominated|
Bollywood generally has big hits in the form of movies which have a dazling starcast with a lot of market value. Very few movies without a big starcast work in the industry. However, the defining success of Student Of The Year gave producers more confidence in investment over films with new starcasts. It is to be noted that Student Of The Year was the third non starcast film to emerge a huge hit after Ishaqzaade and Vicky Donor in 2012. However, each of these films earned revenues in the range of 40 crore (US$6.1 million) to 50 crore (US$7.7 million) while SOTY proved that the collections for such films can be as high as 70 crore (US$11 million) in India alone. After, Student Of The Year, a string of non starcast films including Kai Po Che, Chashme Buddoor[disambiguation needed], Aashiqui 2, Shuddh Desi Romance and Grand Masti were successful at the box office.
After the success of Student Of The Year, Sidharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt an Varun Dhawan became overnight sensations. Their popularity was seen in various polls, functions and award shows. They have currently signed big budget movies and endorse many big brands.
It is also said that a sequel of the movie is to made with two new young debut actresses. But will be decided by Karan Johar.
- "STUDENT OF THE YEAR (12A) - British Board of Film Classification". 16 October 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "12 Bollywood releases declared SUPER HIT". Koimoi.
- "Box office". Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Student of the Year". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "Student of the Year Strong at Multiplexes". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "STUDENT OF THE YEAR MOVIE REVIEW". reviewgang.com.
- "1920 Evil Returns And Skyfall Have Good First Weeks". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- Boxofficeindia.com. Boxofficeindia.com.
- "KJo launches 3 new faces". The Times of India. 6 January 2011.
- "There's no marriage in my kundli: KJo". The Times of India.
- "Karan Johar (@kjohar25) op Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- Shukla, Soumil (17 August 2011). "Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan almost came face to face". FilmiTadka. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Forest Research Institute". Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Tata Motors' Nano Student of the Year goes to IIT Kharagpur's Deepit Purkayastha". Rush Lane. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "IIT student is \'Nano Student of the Year\'". Indiablooms.com. 1 January 2004. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "SOTY targets viewers with contest-based mktg". Exchange4media.com. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Sony bags TV rights of SOTY from Dharma Productions for Rs 50 crore - Economic Times. Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com.
- Sony Music acquires music rights of STUDENT OF THE YEAR - bollywood news. glamsham.com (3 May 2012).
- Joginder Tuteja (3 September 2012). "Student of the Year (2012) - Music Critic Review by Joginder Tuteja". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- IANS (10 October 2012). "Music Review: 'Student Of The Year' has minor flaws". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Satyajit (12 September 2012). "Student of the Year Music Review - Yahoo!". Yahoo!. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Taran Adarsh (18 October 2012). "Student of the Year (2012) - Critic Review by Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- STUDENT OF THE YEAR Review | Komal Nahta's Blog. Komalsreviews.wordpress.com (19 October 2012).
- Movie Review : Student Of The Year. Filmfare.com. Retrieved on 22 October 2012.
- Madhureeta Mukherjee (16 October 2012). "Student of the Year Review - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Student Of The Year Movie Review. Indicine.com (19 October 2012).
- "IBNLive". Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Anupama Chopra's review: Student of the Year". Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- Sukanya Verma (19 October 2012). "Review: Student Of The Year is a fun watch". Rediff. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Rubina A Khan (19 October 2012). "Movie Review: With Student Of The Year, Karan Johar’s definitely not the director of the year". The First Post. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Student Of The Year: Movie Review - Oneindia Entertainment. Entertainment.oneindia.in (26 April 2013).
- Review Of Student Of The Year. Boxofficecapsule.com.
- Movie review: Student Of The Year : Reviews, News - India Today. Indiatoday.intoday.in (19 October 2012).
- Movie Review : Student of the Year review: It won't insult your intelligence. Sify.com.
- Kanika Sikka (19 October 2012). "Review: Student Of The Year is a typical Karan Johar wala film". DNA India. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Saibal Chatterjee (19 October 2012). "Movie Review: Student Of The Year - NDTV". NDTV. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Ananya Bhattacharya (19 October 2012). "Student of the Year Review: Go watch a tepid movie-wala-film!". Zee News. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- ‘Bollywood sweetheart’ Alia Bhatt on Grazia. Indicine.com (3 December 2012).
- Student Of The Year – 3rd Weekend Box Office Collections. Koimoi.com (5 November 2012).
- "Student of the Year First Day Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Student of the Year Has Growth on the Second Day". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Student of the Year Has Good Weekend". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- "Student of the Year Week One Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Student of the Year Has Good Second Weekend Despite Competition". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Student of the Year Week Two Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Box-Office Verdict 2012. Koimoi.com.
- "Student of the Year is Below the Mark Overseas". Box Office India.com. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Chakravyuh and Ajab Gazabb Love Have No Takers". BOXOFFICEINDIA. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "New Releases Dull Student of the Year Heading For Million Close". Box Office India.com. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "8th Apsara Awards Nominations". Apsara Awards. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Winners: Bollywood Hungama Surfers Choice Movie Awards 2012". Bollywood Hungama. 28 January 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "58th Idea Filmfare Awards nominations are here!". Filmfare. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Winners of 58th Idea Filmfare Awards 2012". Bollywood Hungama. 20 January 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "19th Lions Gold Awards 2013 Winners". Pinkvilla. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Mirchi Music Awards Hindi 2012 nominations". The Times of India. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Mirchi Music Awards 2013 winners". The Times of India. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. 21 January 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Winners of Stardust Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. 28 January 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "TOIFA 2013 nominations". The Times of India. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- 'Kahaani', 'Barfi!' lead TOIFA technical awards - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (6 April 2013).
- Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra win best actor awards at TOIFA. Ibnlive.com.
- KOIMOI 2012 AUDIENCE POLL. Koimoi.com.
- Winners of SAIFTA Awards 2013 | Latest Movie Features. Bollywood Hungama (7 September 2013).
- SAIFTA 2013: Gangs of Wasseypur, English Vinglish, Bade Acche Lagte Hain lead nominations - Bollywood News & Gossip, Movie Reviews, Trailers & Videos at. Bollywoodlife.com (6 September 2013).
- Times Hot List 2012 | Times Polls | Category. Timespolls.itimes.com (1 October 2012).
- "Economics And Lifetime Collections of VICKY DONOR". Boxofficecapsule.com.
- Indo-Asian News Service (29-May-2013). "Blockbuster Aashiqui 2 joins Rs.100 crore club". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Grand Masti is SUPER HIT". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- Official website
- Student of the Year at the Internet Movie Database
- Student of the Year at Bollywood Hungama