Studio One (Dubai One series)
Ash & Tom on the set of Studio One
|Directed by||Rima Yahfouf (Season 1–current)
David Coyle (Season 1)
Ehab Noor (Season 1–current)
|Country of origin||UAE|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||605|
|Executive producer(s)||Yara Awad (Seasons 1-3)
Robert Hillier (Season 1)
|Producer(s)||Ray Addison (season 1-current)
M. Faraz Javed (Season 1)
|Running time||60 mins (Season 1)
30 mins (Season 2-4)
|Production company(s)||Dubai Media Incorporated
|Original channel||Dubai One|
|Original run||12 January 2011– 11 March 2014|
Studio One is a live daily English-language lifestyle show broadcast on Dubai One in 16 countries in the Middle East and North Africa. Created by the same team that produced Dubai One's popular weekly show Ask One, Studio One is known for its eclectic mix of lifestyle features and celebrity interviews, interactivity and is primarily aimed at women and families. Season One was hosted by Tom Urquhart and Saba Wahid. At the end of the first season Saba left the show and was replaced by former show reporter Aishwarya Ajit. Studio One has been described as Dubai One's flagship show
- 1 History
- 2 The Team
- 3 Former Hosts
- 4 Content
- 5 Cooking
- 6 Season two
- 7 Filming
- 8 Recognition
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Studio One evolved from Dubai One's successful weekly television show Ask One which first aired in September 2010. Ask One was pre-recorded and broadcast weekly at 19:30 on Tuesday nights and featured a mix of real life stories, interviews, reports, investigations and a regular cookery segment. On 28 December it was announced that from 12 January Ask One would be renamed Studio One and become a live, daily show. There were sixteen episodes of the original series.
Season One of Studio One began on 12 January 2011, with Urquhart and Wahid returning from the Christmas break. The new format featured a number of significant changes from Ask One, including a new set, title sequence, graphics, music and reporters.
Other regular features included live performances, reports from destinations around Dubai and fashion segments on Mondays and Thursdays. Additionally Thursday's had more of a food focus featuring the Mystery Bag Challenge and co-host Saba Wahid preparing one of her own recipes in the 'Quick Foodie Fix'.
Season Two launched on Sunday 25 September 2011 with the new presenting line-up, new half-hour hour format, bigger set and a range of new features including The West Wing and Winning Lines.
On Monday 23 January Studio One broadcast its 200th episode.
Season Three launched on Sunday 30 September with a week of love broadcasts on location from Jumeirah Zabeel Saray on The Palm before returning to a brand new studio set located in Dubai Studio City.
Season Four launched on Sunday 8 September with a re-vamped set and increased interactive.
Tom Urquhart (Season 1-4)
Tom Urquhart is a British journalist, television presenter and radio presenter currently based in the Middle East. He is known for presenting the only live English language lifestyle show in the region; Studio One and for broadcasting on 103.8FM Dubai Eye.
After studying English at university in the UK, Tom worked on several British newspaper titles including a daily broadsheet in London before moving to Dubai in 2001. After a brief stint in PR he became Deputy Editor of What’s On for Motivate Publishing and Editor at Large for the launch of Hello Middle East.
It was at Motivate that Tom started working in local radio, providing a regular entertainment slot for Emirates Radio 1 and 2 called What’s On Tom? He then went on to host the morning show (The Good Life) for the re-launch of Dubai Eye 103.8, the first English language talk radio station in the UAE. From there he moved to the evening drive time slot where he oversaw the launch of the stations Sport Talk show as presenter and executive producer.
A move into television soon followed. He was chosen as host for City 7's Good Morning Dubai show, the first live English language breakfast show in the UAE. He has also been featured in a Discovery Channel feature on Dubai, A Place in the Sun from the UK, and Lonely Planet does Dubai. Tom featured as a regular pundit on the first season of Dubai One's weekly sports show World of Sports (TV Series) before taking over as Host for the second and final season.
Tom has contributed to a number of publications in the UK and Middle East including CNN, The National and Jumeirah Magazine writing about a range of topics including architecture, horse racing and rugby. In 2006 he was the editor of Dubai Sports City Newsletter.
Urquhart has hosted a number of large events in the UAE including the opening of Sheikh Zayed Bridge by Queen Elizabeth II, the launch of sports newspaper Sport 360°, the Emirates Airline Tee Party, Jumeirah Festival of Taste, the Lancashire Cricket Dinner, the launch of Virgin Atlantic in Dubai, the Cartier International Polo event, the Abu Dhabi Chequered Flag Ball and Chef's For Japan. Additionally Tom regularly comentates on Polo matches and has been described by British Polo Today as "The voice of Polo in Dubai".
Aishwarya Ajit (Season 2-4)
Ash's media career started in India at 18 where she worked as a photo shoot model and started to build up a following for her work. She then moved into television hosting Asianet’s hit dance reality show Vodafone Thakadhimi, lifestyle magazine show CityLights and the Malayalam Film Awards for 4 consecutive years. A short career in Indian Cinema followed with Ash appearing in such films as Chintamani Kolacase and Sangaathi.
Ash made the move to the UAE in 2010 to work for Dubai One first as a reporter for youth show Twenty Something and then as a reporter and relief host for Studio One covering holidays for Tom and Saba. In 2011 she was described as "A face to be reckoned with in Dubai media circles" by Masala magazine and one of Dubai's Best Dressed.
Saba Wahid (Season 1)
Saba Wahid is an American television presenter and Chef with Pakistani ethnic origin. She was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts and had a variety of influences in her life including higher education, Pakistani customs, Islamic traditions and strong family values.
Growing up, Saba developed many different hobbies and participated in a variety of extracurricular activities ranging from sports such as Alpine skiing, Biking, Running, Field Hockley, Ice Hockey and Lacrosse. But the hobby that Saba most connected with was cooking.
Saba studied in the states obtaining a BA from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and then continuing on to Hospitality Management at the French Culinary Institute in New York City. Working for a prestigious catering company in Manhattan and organizing events, she worked closely with some of the best chefs the city had to offer. She then found inspiration to begin catering private events by using her own creative cooking style and fused South Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine, but presented it in a more contemporary manner. Saba’s strong ties to the culinary arts ultimately brought out her passion to be able to communicate this in the realm of television. After appearing in a number of locally produced cooking shows she made the move to Dubai where she took the next step in her career and presented Ask One and then Studio One. In 2011 celebrity magazine Ahlan! described her as Dubai's next celebrity chef. On 30 June 2011 Saba announced live on television that she would be leaving the show. She is now working on her cooking career and publishes her own blog titled Culinary Delights.
Studio One covered a wide range of subjects during its first season, including fashion, pregnancy, health, Art, education, live performances from singers, musicians and dancers including Capoeira, Balet, Tango, Tap, Bollywood, musicals and Flamenco and has regular live demonstrations which the presenters often try out for themselves; including makeup, hair makeovers, pottery, acting, flower arranging, motorbike riding, machette juggling, improv comedy, illusion and table setting.
From March 2011, Studio One began featuring a number of live reports presented by Aishwarya Ajit. Ash has reported live from the launch of Art Dubai at the Dubai International Financial Centre and the first International Street Theatre Festival at Dubai Marina Mall Promenade. When Ash took over as co-host Dina Butti replaced her as live reporter.
Notable Studio Guests
Cooking is a daily feature on Studio One with many of Dubai's top award winning Chefs appearing to prepare a dish for the presenters to sample at the end of the episode. All of the recipes are published on Studio One's Facebook page before each show so that viewers can cook along at home.
In 2011, Studio One launched a competition to find Dubai's Best Amateur Cook. Chef Sameer Miglani of the Movenpick Hotel in Bur Dubai was the judge who put the competitors through their paces. In the end former Lawyer Marta Yanci was the winner. She has since made several appearances on the show.
Season two featured a number of new features built around greater interactivity and the new half hour format.
The show is broadcast live from Sunday to Thursday from Studio C at DMI's Maktoum studios in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
The set designer is Abdul Rahman El Korek. The original set resembled an open-plan split level studio apartment consisting of a living area, kitchen and mezzanie level. The interviews were generally conducted in the living area where there were two comfortable sofas and a coffee table. The kitchen was fully functioning and included an oven and a hob. The mezzanie level was seldom used unless Tom wished to escape from a particularly female focussed interview.
The set was completely rebuilt for season 3.
In 2011 Tom and Saba were recognised alongside Rosemin Manji as media trendsetters and listed in the Ahlan! Hot 100. They were also nominated and shortlisted as the Best Male and Female Presenters in Abu Dhabi at the Best in Abu Dhabi Awards 2011. Studio One was also nominated as the Best Television Programme at the Best in Abu Dhabi Awards 2011. In the same year Aishwarya was named on Masala magazine's 'Hot List'. Additionally Saba was given her own food column in Ahlan! magazine. In October 2011 Studio One was nominated as the Best Television Programme at the Best In Dubai Awards. The eventual winner was fellow Dubai One TV Show Out & About. In December 2011 Aishwarya was nominated as Best TV Presenter at the Masala! Hot Shot Awards for her role on Studio One.
The show has an active fanbase with many of its viewers interacting with the programme via their Facebook page. Additionally, fans of Saba started their own fan page called The Saba Wahid Appreciation Society.
- [dead link]
- Emily Shardlow. "Full: Dubai One recruits new TV celebrity chef – The National". Thenational.ae. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Making the strides". Varietyarabia.com. 22 August 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Kay, Nathan (4 August 2011). "Saba’s Leaving Dubai One – New Articles". Ahlan! Live. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wylie, Shannon (12 September 2011). "Studio One’s New Co-Host – Features". Ahlan! Live. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "The National Digital Edition". Thenational.newspaperdirect.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Our blog – luguo11: sdf sdf – Our profile". alivenotdead.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Chris Newbould. "Dubai One flagship clears a century". DigitalProductionME.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Dubai One Celebrates New Programming". Zawya. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Your name:. "Studio One to celebrate 100th episode on Thu". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Dubai One flagship clears a century". Digitalproductionme.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Studio One’s New Co-Host | Celeb News". Compactwindowairconditioner.com. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Chris Newbould (15 September 2011). "New host for Studio One". DigitalProductionME.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Radio 2 on Dubai One TV". gulfnews. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "aces middles east:: talent". Acesmiddleeast.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wylie, Shannon (24 May 2011). "Dubai TV's Chef Challenge – Features". Ahlan! Live. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "DiscoverME and City 7 TV to boost awareness in the Middle East | Discover ME". AMEinfo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- admin on 1 November 2008 (1 November 2008). "Triumph Of The Tasteful". Cnntraveller.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- [dead link]
- 04:25 pm – Saturday (1 November 2011). "No such thing as a dead rubber – The National". Thenational.ae. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "U pd ate". Dubai Sports City. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Elizabeth Broomhall. "Queen Elizabeth to open billion dirham bridge". ConstructionWeekOnline.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Kabir Ali Baig (11 October 2010). "Press Releases, The Long Awaited Sport 360° Kicks Off!". GoDubai. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "UAE's only daily sports newspaper Sport 360° kicks off! – Business Intelligence Middle East – bi-me.com – News, analysis, reports". bi-me.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Thrilling finale to the Emirates Airline Tee Party | Emirates | About Emirates | News". Emirates. 10 December 2009. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Emirates Woman | June 2011". Content.yudu.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Bareface & Alchemy for Emirates". YouTube. 8 February 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Tom Urquhart (24 February 2010). "Tom Urquhart: DubaiEye103.8". 18.104.22.168. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Aishwarya Ajit's Fan No1. "Aishwarya Ajit". Aishwaryaajit.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- No 1 Fan Of AISHWARYA AJIT (1 October 2011). "Aishwarya Ajit". Cuteaishwaryaajit.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Friday Review Thiruvananthapuram / TV Serials: The grand finale". The Hindu. India. 13 June 2008. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Ram (22 June 2008). "Ta Ra RAM Pum: The Grand Finale of Vodafone Thakadhimi!". Criticatwork.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Aishwarya Ajit: Living the change". gulfnews. 1 October 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Media Hotties Get Sporty!: Aishwarya Ajit". Masala.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Aishwarya Ajit". Masala.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Dubai Best Dressed". Masala.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "WATCH THIS FACE". Saba Wahid. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Saba Wahid. "Culinary Delights, By Saba Wahid". Culinarydelightsbysabawahid.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Studio One". YouTube. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Fashion Weekly™ » Blog Archive » Afra al abdulla – dubai one (studio one)". Fashionweekly.com. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "advertising". Pregnantindubai.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "The City Hospital:: Dubai One TV Health Talk | Dr. Peter Barrow". Ehl.ae. 29 May 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Spalter, Michael (4 April 2011). "Spalter Digital Art Collection: Dubai TV Studio One – Interview Anne Morgan Spalter". Spalterdigitalartcollection.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "EW on Dubai One – Dubai & Northern Emirates – ExpatWoman Web Site". Expatwoman.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "What is Capoeira?". Capoeiradubai.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- [dead link]
- http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php? v=10150118884346937
- "G4G talks about Trek Ethiopia on Dubai One TV – Gulf for Good". Gulf4good.org. 4 April 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Nitin Mirani on Studio One On Dubai Tv". YouTube. 2011-04-09. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Wahid, Saba. "Interview with "The Modern Day Willie Wonka", Willie Harcourt-Cooze, Studio One, Season 1 on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "ASH KING – Am!Ra's World". Amiras-world.com. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wahid, Saba. "Interview with Chef Nobu Matsuhisa, Atlantis The Palm, Dubai on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wahid, Saba. "Interview with Chef Pierre Gagnaire, Reflets, Intercontinental, Festival City, Dubai on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wahid, Saba. "Interview with Antony Worhol-Thompson, Fish Market, Abu Dhabi on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wahid, Saba. "Interview with Chef Gary Rhodes, Rhodes Mezzanine, Grosvenor House, Dubai on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Ariana Bundy on Dubai One's Studio One (January 2011)". YouTube. 23 January 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Maree, Aaron (14 June 2011). "Aaron Maree: Saba Wahid". Aaronmaree.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Chef Andrew Paderes demo dubai studio one". YouTube. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Wahid, Saba. "Cooking Segment on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Boutique Dubai Catering by Marta's Kitchen". Martaskitchen.com. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Dubai One’s Amateur Chef Challenge on Studio One Show". Daijiworld.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Marta's Kitchen". Martaskitchen.net. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Ahlan (23 February 2011). "Saba Wahid, Tom Urquhart and Rosemin Manji". Dubai: Ahlanlive.com. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- UAE Press Release NetworkEmiratesWeek (18 May 2011). "2011 glamorous awards recognizing the Ahlan! Best in Abu Dhabi shortlisted nominees announced". Emirates Week. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "A Sneak Peek at the Masala! Most Eligible Hot List". Masala.com. 17 June 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Dinesh Kumar (14 June 2011). "A Sneak Peek at the Masala! Most Eligible Hot List". Indiansite.com.au. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "RECIPE: Squash Quinoa with Salmon". Ahlanlive.com. 5 June 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Name *. "RECIPE: Eggplant with Spicy Tomato Sauce | Diet and Weightloss Guides". Diet1200.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Wahid, Saba (7 July 2011). "RECIPE: Fresh and Flavour-Packed Summer Salad – Health Recipes". Ahlan! Live. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "RECIPE: Seared Scallops with Fennel Saffron Tomato Sauce – Health Recipes". Ahlan! Live. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Best TV Programme, Best in Dubai 2011". Ahlanlive.com. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Hot Shot". Masala.com. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Studio One". Facebook. 25 September 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "The Saba Wahid Appreciation Society – Info". Facebook. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Studio One (Dubai One series).|