STUDIOS Architecture is an international design firm that was founded in 1985 in San Francisco, California. The firm provides architecture, master planning, interior design, environmental graphic design and strategic consulting services on commercial, mixed-use, civic, and institutional projects around the world. They are considered a mid-sized firm with approximately 200 employees overall, with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C., New York, Mumbai and Paris.
They are designing the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Headquarters renovation project in Washington, D.C., which will seek LEED Platinum Certification and also has a goal to achieve carbon neutral status by 2030. The firm has many other projects that have received or are pending LEED Certification, including the new visitors center at the gateway to SLAC Stanford Linear Accelerator Campus (Platinum), Foundry Square 2 The Orrick Building (Platinum), UC Merced's Social Science and Management Building (Platinum),University of Cincinnati’s CARE/Crawley Building (Gold), 200 Fifth Avenue in New York (Gold), and the New York headquarters offices for the Grey Global Group (Gold).
Projects in the United States
- Pandora radio offices, Interiors, Oakland, CA
- Arent Fox headquarters, Interiors, Washington, DC
- Canal Park, Public park with Olin Studio, Washington, DC
- Osh Kosh B'gosh headquarters, Interiors, New York, NY
- Kiva.org headquarters, Interiors, San Francisco, CA
- UCLA Weyburn Terrace Graduate Student Housing, with WRT Solomon, Architecture and Interiors, Los Angeles, CA
- UC Berkeley California Memorial Stadium and Simpson Center, with HNTB Architecture, Architecture and Interiors, Berkeley, CA
- Guess (clothing) headquarters, Interiors, Los Angeles, CA
- Edmunds.com headquarters, Interiors, Santa Monica, CA
- Bloomberg L.P. headquarters, Interiors, New York, NY located in the Bloomberg Tower
- Foundry Square, 1,250,000-square-foot (116,000 m2) development in the neighborhood of South of Market, San Francisco, California
- IAC/InterActiveCorp, 140,000 square feet (13,000 m2) of Interior Architecture
- 610 Broadway, New York, NY, 70,000 square feet (7,000 m2) Architecture developed by Macklowe Properties
- 1110 Vermont Avenue, Washington, DC, 300,000 square feet (30,000 m2) Architecture and Interior Renovation
- Bond Market Association, Washington, DC, 12,000 square feet (1,100 m2), Interior Architecture
- Bureau of Public Debt, Federal Office Building, Parkersburg, WV, 210,000 square feet (20,000 m2) Masterplanning, Architecture, and Interior Architecture, part of the GSA Design Excellence Program
- State of California Department of Public Health, Richmond Laboratory Campus, Phase III Office Building, Richmond, CA, 200,000 square feet (20,000 m2) Architecture and Interior Architecture
- Catellus Corporation Mission Bay Block 28, 387,000 square feet (36,000 m2) Architecture, Mission Bay, San Francisco, California
- The Pentagon, Pentagon Renovation Program 4,000,000 square feet (372,000 m2) Interior Architecture and Strategic Planning
- XM Satellite Radio, 145,000 square feet (13,500 m2) Interior Architecture and Strategic Planning
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, Washington, DC, 300,000 square feet (30,000 m2) Strategic Programming and Interior Architecture
- The Googleplex, Mountain View, California, current Google headquarters and former Silicon Graphics (SGI) headquarters
- Computer History Museum, Mountain View, California, former Silicon Graphics (SGI) headquarters
- University of Texas at Dallas, Arts and Technology Building, with VAI Architects 157,920 square feet (14,700 m2)
STUDIOS was a consultant on the interior design of the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. STUDIOS also co-designed (with Team 7 International) the interiors of the 1,800-seat symphony and opera performance hall of the Shanghai Grand Theatre, and for the Shanghai Cultural Square, also with Team 7.
In 2012, STUDIOS won an international competition to design the 915,000 sf (85 000 m²) Shanghai International Dance Center.
STUDIOS has also designed a number of major corporate campuses, including a new office complex for Marconi Communications in Genoa, Italy with partner, General Planning of Milan as well as the 81,000 square feet (7,500 m2) corporate offices for Cisco Systems in Issy-les-Moulineaux, France.
STUDIOS is working with Frank Gehry on the Louis Vuiton Foundation for Creation.
Awards and honors
STUDIOS Architecture's work has received over 200 awards. In addition to receiving the Firm of the Year award in 2002 from the AIA California Council, they were also ranked among the top 3 "Most Admired" firm in Interior Design magazine’s 2009 and 2012 annual polls among architecture firms. A selection of awards follows:
- Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) Honor Award for Excellence in Architecture for Rehabilitation, Restoration or Preservation, 2013, UC Berkeley California Memorial Stadium and Simpson Center, Berkeley, CA
- BusinessWeek/Architectural Record Good Design is Good Business Award, 2012, 200 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
- American Institute of Architects New York State, Merit Award, 2011, Grey Group Headquarters, New York, NY
- American Institute of Architects St. Louis, Distinguished Award, 2011, Armstrong Teasdale, St. Louis, MO
- American Institute of Architects New York State, Merit Award Adaptive Reuse, 2010, 200 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
- Interior Design Magazine, Best of Year Awards, Office Restoration, 2010, Grey Group Headquarters, New York, NY
- Center for the Built Environment Livable Building Award, 2010, UCSF Capital Programs and Facilities Management Offices, San Francisco, CA
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA) National Design Award, 2010, Guess Headquarters, Los Angeles, CA
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) Award For Excellence, The Americas Competition, 2010, Foundry Square, San Francisco, CA
- American Institute of Architects Institute Honor Award for Interior Architecture, 2009, Barclays Global Investors Headquarters Office San Francisco, CA
- Architectural Record / BusinessWeek Good Design is Good Business Award, 2008, Edmunds.com, Santa Monica, CA
- American Institute of Architects Institute Honor Award for Interior Architecture, 2007, Bloomberg L.P. Headquarters Office New York, NY
- Chicago Athenaeum, American Architecture Awards, 2006, California State Department of Health, San Francisco, CA
- BusinessWeek/Architectural Record Award, 2006, Bloomberg L.P. Headquarters Office, New York, NY
- BusinessWeek/Architectural Record Merit Award, 2006, California State Department of Health Services, San Francisco, CA
- New York Construction Merit Award, 2006, IAC/InterActiveCorp Headquarters, New York, NY
- Gold Nugget Merit Award and Grand Award, 2006, State of California Department of Health Services, Laboratory Campus Phase III Office Building, Richmond, CA
- American Institute of Architects East Bay Awards Architecture Merit Award, 2005 State of California Department of Health Services, Laboratory Campus Phase III Office Building, Richmond, CA
- American Institute of Architects San Francisco Design Awards, Excellence in Interior Architecture Citation, 2005 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, LLP, San Francisco, CA
- American Institute of Architects New York Design Awards, Merit Award in the Interior Architecture category, 2005
- American Institute of Architects Washington DC, Excellence Award in the Historic Resources category, 2004 Christ Church of Georgetown, Washington, DC
- Chicago Athenaeum, American Architecture Awards, 2004 Milpitas City Hall, Milpitas, CA
- American Institute of Architects San Francisco Design Awards/Best of the Bay, Excellence in Design Award, 2003 Milpitas City Hall, Milpitas, CA
- Foundry Square, San Francisco
- Garbarine, Rachelle (2004-06-23). "COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE: REGIONAL MARKET -- NoHo; A Neighborhood Rarity: New Offices". The New York Times.
- "The Aga Khan Award for Architecture 2004". Aga Khan Development Network. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "Kerun Ip". arcspace. 1999. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- "Interior Applications: Cut Stone, Split Face, Rock Face & Pavers". Mankato Kasota Stone. Sweets, The McGraw-Hill Companies. 2005. Retrieved 2007-03-20.[dead link]
- "STUDIOS Architecture". american-architects.com. Retrieved 2007-03-07.
- 2007 Honors & Awards Recipients
- 2006 American Architecture Awards
- Breaking Down the Walls at Bloomberg
- BusinessWeek/Architectural Record Awards
- Best Office - 60,000 sq. ft. and over
- 2005 AIA East Bay Design Awards
- American Institute of Architects San Francisco Chapter
- AIANY | Design Awards 2005 Winners - Interiors
- 2004 American Architecture Awards