Stuff (How I Met Your Mother)
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Kourtney Kang|
|Original air date||February 19, 2007|
Ted has been confusing his memories of events with Robin with those involving his previous girlfriends. To hide this, he lies that he shared all of these experiences with his sister, so Robin does not get jealous. When he tells her this, she claims that he doesn't need to hide his exes, as they are both mature adults. She gets upset upon learning that most of Ted's possessions are from his ex-girlfriends (including the sweater she is wearing).
Robin insists that Ted get rid of those things, upon which they ask Marshall, Lily and Barney for advice. Only Marshall sides with Ted, which means that Ted has to throw them away. Robin enters his apartment to find that it has been nearly robbed, only to learn from Ted that his ex-girlfriends gave all of the seemingly missing items. Here, Lily forces the whole group to come to watch her play, despite protests from Barney.
Everything is OK between Robin and Ted now, until Ted learns that all her dogs are gifts from her previous boyfriends. Now Ted flares up and demands that Robin should give up her dogs too. Robin decides to give them away and tells about her decision to Lily. When everybody comes to see Lily's play, they hate it, but only Barney confesses that the play was awful. Upon this, Lily tells that friends are supposed to be nice to each other and that if he were to be in a show, she would say only good things about it. Robin and Ted reach Ted's apartment and confess to each other that Lily's show was indeed horrible. On learning that Robin gave away her dogs, Ted is a bit hesitant to let her in his apartment. Robin enters and finds that Ted had not got rid of his possessions after all. After a heated argument, they somehow make a decision to move in together. On announcing this to the rest of the gang, Marshall and Lily are excited, while Barney slaps his forehead.
Barney takes up Lily's challenge and makes his own show named Suck It, Lily, clearly intending to rile her up. He produces a terrible show which involves repeating the word "moist" (which Lily is shown to hate earlier), squirting water through a water gun at the audience (especially Lily). Lily buckles down and admits to Barney that he has won and she has nothing good to say about his show. The rest of the gang prepares to leave, but Barney manages to make them watch the second act, which turns out to be so much worse that Marshall is forced to use his second slap to make Barney stop.
- The Stooges - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" (not on DVD)
- Gary Higgins - "Thicker Than a Smokery"
- The Black Hollies - "(Baby) I'm your Fool"
- In discussing Marshall's preference for parachute pants, Robin refers to Joey Buttafuoco and the shooting of his wife while Ted brings up Bell Biv Devoe. The pants and Lily's hatred of them are later referenced in the Season 6 episode "Glitter".
- When Barney mentions the clutter of Ted's apartment he compares it to the likeness of the restaurant Bennigan's but the gang is clueless at Robin comparing it to the Canadian restaurant chain Danby's.
- Ted is wearing a sweater with the coat of arms of the Swiss city of Geneva on it.
- Barney's play features him singing a parody of the song "Love of My Life" by Queen.