|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing|
|Released||December 5, 2006|
|Format||CD single, music download|
|Length||6:16 (album version)
3:46 (radio edit)
|Writer(s)||Dave Berg, Deanna Bryant, Sarah Buxton|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"Stupid Boy" is a song that was written by Dave Berg, Deanna Bryant and Sarah Buxton. First recorded by Sarah Buxton, it was later recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban on his 2006 album Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing, from which it was released as that album's second single in December 2006. A year after its release, the song won Urban a Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
Urban told Billboard that he recorded "Stupid Boy" at the suggestion of his wife, actress Nicole Kidman. He also noted how the song's subject matter contrasted with the more up-tempo love song "Once in a Lifetime," the album's first single, saying that the two songs were "yin and yang." Sarah Buxton, who co-wrote the song, recorded a version before Urban did. This version was included on a 2007 extended play entitled Almost My Record as well as Buxton's 2010 self-titled album.
Tamara Conniff and Ray Waddell of Billboard described the song as "a ballad on how men foolishly break the hearts of the women they love." Associated Press reviewer Michael McCall called it "a funky, witty take on a guy who can't appreciate how good he has it."
As listed in liner notes.
- Tom Bukovac – rhythm guitar
- Eric Darken – percussion
- Dann Huff – rhythm guitar
- Rami Jaffee – Hammond B-3 organ
- Tim Lauer – pump organ, synthesizer
- Chris McHugh – drums
- Jimmie Lee Sloas – bass guitar
- Keith Urban – lead guitar, acoustic guitar, all vocals
|US Billboard Hot 100||43|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||29|
Cassadee Pope version
|Single by Cassadee Pope|
|from the album The Complete Season 3 Collection|
|Released||10 December 2012|
Cassadee Pope performed this song on NBC's singing competition show, The Voice. Pope went on to win the competition, and her studio version of the song reached the top of the iTunes Top 10 Singles the day after the song was released.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||
|US Billboard Hot 100||
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||
- Coniff, Tamara; Ray Waddell (11 November 2006). "Urban Developments". Billboard: 32.
- McCall, Michael (3 November 2006). "Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing review". Fox News. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- Gilbert, Calvin (2008-02-11). "Vince Gill Wins Best Country Album Grammy". CMT. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing (Media notes). Capitol Records. 2006. 09463-77087-0-5.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2007: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "Canadian Hot 100 Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- "The Billboard Hot 100 Week of December 29, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "US Top Country Songs Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.