Stuyvesant Cove Park
Stuyvesant Cove Park is a 1.9-acre (7,700 m2) public park on the East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan that runs from 18th Street to 23rd Street between the FDR Drive and the East River. Part of the East River Greenway, it is located to the south of the Waterside Plaza apartment complex, to the east of Stuyvesant Town–Peter Cooper Village, and to the north of the East River Park, and connects to the Captain Patrick J. Brown Walk on the south end.
Located on the former brownfield site of a cement plant and a parking lot, the park was created after the failure of the proposed Riverwalk mixed-use development that would have included residential units, offices, a hotel and a marina. Surplus cement dumped from trucks into the East River has created a small beach in the middle of the park near the end of 20th Street, which is not intended to be accessed by pedestrians.
The park, which was completed in 2002, cost $8.3 million and was designed by Donna Walcavage Landscape Architecture. Solar 1, an environmental learning center with a small outdoor stage for public performances, is located at the north end of the park.
The park features a number of gazebos and a bike path along with ample bike parking. There are several picnicking areas with tables and seating.
- "Stuyvesant Cove Park". Solar 1. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Stamler, Bernard (October 26, 1997). "Park to Grow on the Ashes of the Riverwalk Plan". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Before & After". Solar 1. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Kinetz, Erika (January 13, 2002). "Rock Outcropping or Rubble? No One's Neutral on Old Cement". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Kilgannon, Corey (May 31, 2004). "They'll Take Manhattan (Accidental Beaches, Too)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Rosen, Dan (December 9, 2009). "Stuy Town Resident Is Putting on The Pier Pressure". The Villager (New York). Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Freeman, Allen (August 2003). "East Side Story". Landscape Architecture. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Media related to Stuyvesant Cove Park at Wikimedia Commons
- Stuyvesant Cove Park Association
- Stuyvesant Cove Park - Solar One